Freewheels

howler24

hi

looking for a little advice, im going through freewheels very quickly, is there any reason for this or is it just the way it goes, im not using particularly cheap ones, acs and dicta usually, have tried running them on my cranks and on the rear wheel but it hasnt seemed to resolve the issue, any suggestions as to how to make them last longer? and can anyone suggest a good freewhell that not to expensive, can really afford the like of white industries.

any advice appreciated.

Edited by howler24

Or just keep the lockring tight, that's the reason your going through them quickly, I use to have the same problem. After a week or so the freewheel would explode and bearings would pour everywhere. So keep it tight, and preferably use the ACS over the Dicta. There's no need to go and buy an expensive freewheel if you look after an ACS.

Tensile defentley, me and my Brother have got them and my Brother has had his for 7 months and it has never skipped.

Mine has skipped 3 times but I think it was because the pauls got stuck down sometimes because there was to much grease in it but it has stopped now.

This guy is 15 years old, I doubt he'd want to spend 70 quid on an Eno when he could keep a cheap and cheerful ACS working provided you people told him how to keep the lockring tight.

It's all very good saying 'Yeah mate get a eno, get a try-all, because I've got one' but they aren't very helpful comments. :sleeping:

This guy is 15 years old, I doubt he'd want to spend 70 quid on an Eno when he could keep a cheap and cheerful ACS working provided you people told him how to keep the lockring tight.

It's all very good saying 'Yeah mate get a eno, get a try-all, because I've got one' but they aren't very helpful comments. :sleeping:

yeah, im 15 and have had

wank freewheels = £30

3 try-alls = £150

eno = £70

so thats £250 on free wheels! big deal <_<

buy my try-all or get an eno, will be better in the long run:)

Harry

Edited by harrylumley

I doubt he'd want to buy a Try-all off you considering you have broke a few already. Like Tim said buy an ACS welded...

They cost slightly more but don't come loose as far as i know. There are a few different ACS freewheels as well, the claw being the most common on here but apparently the fatter versions have stronger internals, makes sense really.

Tensile defentley, me and my Brother have got them and my Brother has had his for 7 months and it has never skipped.

Mine has skipped 3 times but I think it was because the pauls got stuck down sometimes because there was to much grease in it but it has stopped now.

9 months bert, I got it at christmas. ;)

Yea man i 100% understand what your saying i dont usually have much money about.... but like.... in the time ive had my 1 eno which costs 70quid, ive treated it badly and lost 2 of the pawls and when the free wheel falls off it still bounces back fine... in the time ive been running mine friends have been losing there teeth and constantly replacing cheaper freewheels 4 times....

IMO I think if you can scrable together 70-80 (i dunno) for an ENO its well worth it for a long term investment in something you can trust, other cheaper freewheels are very hit an miss.... some people get good ones other peoples only last days.... i really do think eno's offer superior build quality and you can buy all the case pawls springs and lock ring seperatly so if something goes wrong its easy to just replace 1 bit of it

Hope ive helped...

Try a tensile or an eno as acs claws dont usually last very long and dicta is a big no no !

im currently using a tensile and have had no problems with it. i few people i know use enos and in my opinion there really good, but i dont think there is any need to shell out twice as much for a freewheel.

i agree with 'adamgriffin3' dont go for dicta as it will proberly more cost you more in the long run!