Car Audio Question

Tony Harrison

In my car I have a JVC CD headunit. It's fairly good, plays CDs, radio, etc, none of that remote control and spazzy blue graphics bollocks!

On the back it has a pair of phono connectors marked 'out', and four speaker terminals (RL, RR, FR, FL). I'm guessing the phono is for an amp (which I don't have or want). If I buy a pair of 6x9's and some half-decent 4" front speakers, can I run them straight off the speaker outputs?

Following on from that, what would people recommend speaker-wise? I'm after good quality sound, with nicely balanced mid-range/bass, without paying a fortune. Just really want a tidy sound setup that I can play loud, but not ridiculously boy-racer loud, if you see what I mean...

Any help appreciated.

Yeah, I was thinking of going to Halfords to have a look. Probably buy online though as it's cheaper. Think I can deal with fitting them. Going have to modify my parcel shelf anyway...

I came up with a genius idea for mine, I bought the car with some dodgy cut outs and some rather "blingin" 6x 9's. They just annoyed me being sat there so i mounted them underneath the shelf and stapled some t shirt fabric to the underneath of the shelf. Problemo solved, good sound and no horrendous spaceship shaped speakers!