Tyre Fit

duane

Hi,

I am having a really rotten couple of days so please forgive the lame question.

I spent most of yesterday trying to fit a maxxis hi-roller then a maxxis bling bling onto a try all rim, the only tyre levers that didn't bend were the ones that snapped. The hi-roller wasn't having any of it, but I managed to get the bling bling on, I dont like the bling bling on the rear because the sidewalls are too thin and I get pinches as soon as I look at a rock, but anyway I wasnt going to be beaten so I got it on there. Started pumping it up and staight away the hissing started where I had put the tyre lever through the tube - I repeated this twice before giving up and putting my old wheel back on and going for a ride.

Today I was just messing around on a narrow curb, got the back wheel on then the brake slipped and I landed back first on the edges of the curb, got really bad whip lash and saw stars for a while.

So help me fix my day and recommed a reasonably light tyre that I can get on and off a Try All rim and will fit in an 07 Control frame - if it helps I was really happy with the performance of the hi-roller on my old rim.

On the off chance, does tyre width have any relation to the bead, i.e. does the bead on a 2.5 hi-roller have a slightly larger circumference than a 2.2, cant see why it would, but it would fix my problem if it did ?

Thanks

Duane.

Didn't read all the thread, sorry Duane, but you should be able to get the tyre on without a hitch without the use of tyre levers. I remember posting more detailed info previously, but in a nutshell, squeeze the tyre beads into the centre of the rim - this part dips down so will create more slack. From here you can squeeze it on by hand.

Adam

I've had two tryall rims and both times found maxxis tyres a real pain to fit (really good once fitted).

My tyre levers just bent too.

The only way I've found that works for me is to use two kitchen knives instead of tyre levers - the knives do bend a little but it works.

The knives are thinner than tyre levers and so easier to fit and remove and also stronger. The knifes have to be fairly blunt.

Perhaps this is a stupid way and there is an easier way? Fitting tyres onto my old onza rim is so much easier.

(Y)

Another method that I use when a tire is giving me trouble is to spray some aerosol silicon lubricant around the bead of the tire. This makes it easier to slide it over the rim, and it evaporates fairly quickly. If you get it on your rim, just drag your brake for a couple seconds and you'll be set.

i've always found it a bit of a mission to get highrollers and hansventres on my old koxx rim,and revell rim (its probably a common problem with wide rims and dh tires),i used some old hs33 lever to get the rims on as the are stronger than tire levers and because my mother wouldn't let me near the knives :D

steve