Thick Tyre Thin Tube, Thin Tyre Thick Tube

Greetings

As it says in the topic really. I'm currently running a Try-All tyre and a Maxxis DH tube which adds up to 1,8kgs of rubber on the rear wheel.

That and a disc brake make the rear end of the bike feel incredibly heavy and lazy.

So, I've been wondering how I can get this setup a bit lighter without getting snakebites all the time. The Try-All tyre is shit so I'd replace it with something lighter.

Basically, a Hansventure on a standard tube will weigh about as much as a Big Betty on the Maxxis DH tube. Which of the two do you think will be more pinch resistant? Or do you know of any other light setups that might work? I'm aiming at a tyre+tube combo that won't exceed 1,35kgs which will make the bike feel considerably lighter.

They are ok, better on street than natural. Most dual ply Maxxis tyres a decent though.

nah, i was really disappointed with my hansventure, it pinched 3 times in like a week, the sidewall split and it was shit for grip.

whereas ive never pinched any minions or hi rollers

Pinched that after 10 minutes of riding on a small gap, no thanks. That tyre is officially shit.

Hi-Rollers on the other hand are rather heavy?

i try all is heavier than a maxxis unless your running a front try all, which would be why you keep getting pinch's. go for the highroller/minion and a normal tube

Edited by 26inch

i try all is heavier than a maxxis unless your running a front try all, which is why you keep getting pinch's. go for the highroller/minion and a normal tube

aye and dont run silly low pressure though, I had mine come off the rim when I experimented with super low pressure

Go for a Maxxis 2.35" UST High Roller. Under 900g, and I very rarely pinch mine. They've got a much thicker sidewall than the single ply tyres. That and a standard tube does me brilliantly - only downside is the tyres are a bit pricier.

i used maxxis dual ply with standar tubes for ages with no problems, the occasional pinch but nothing that was ever really a problem.

tryall with standard tube hasnt punctured yet at all from anything and i've had it on 4 weeks now. not riding as hard as i was though :(

Pinched that after 10 minutes of riding on a small gap, no thanks. That tyre is officially shit.

Hi-Rollers on the other hand are rather heavy?

personally i massively prefer try-all tyres to any other

the feel is amasingly springy and better than others IMO, and the extra weight is due to the thick walls- works weel with a lightweight thin innertube. you might still get thorn punctures, but i havent had one of those in ages.. i used to pinch my maxxis creepy crawlers (on mod) and most of my stock tyres after very little time cos of my unsmooth gapping/upping style, but i got away with it all with the try-alls and a talcom-powdered thin innertube

any of the maxis tube less rage really and normal tube, or a standard continental tube as they seem to be the best lighish tube about

the tube less tend to have a lower tyre profile though, which for natural i rather like

glad people are starting to catch on to the tube less tyres