Tyre Linings

Rojo

I was made aware (some time ago) of some linings for between the inner tube and the inside of the tyre wall. I have seen kevlar strips and variety of other options. Basically i was just wondering if anyone had any experience of these? Or if i am missing something fundamentally wrong with them. A few examples incase you do not know what i am raving on about.

Clicky!

Cheers, Rojo

Never seen them before in my life, good find, give it a try and report back?

Ah well, i will be buying some so i will let you know how it goes. Hours of mindless wandering round that shop has to pay off sometime then i suppose . :)

Yeah, cheers Scopse, will try them anyway.

I remember seeing some guy using one and it worked really well he said. Although he did get a pinch that day so who knows...

As for fat tubes, i'm still not convinced. Currently running one but i think it goes, sharp wall + heavy landing = pinched in any situation.

Is that like rim tape? If it is i dont think it is needed i have not had rim tape for the last year even with holes in my rims and i have never got a puncture. They are either not needed in my opinion or i am a very lucky not to have got a flatty. :D

I herd yesterday while on a ride that if you line the insides of your tyre with Pipe insulation foam and then pump up your tyre to a higher psi, you get less pinches as its a higher pressure and you get the bouncyness from the foam.

Insulation foam: pipeinsulationfoam.jpg

however apparently, the foam springyness only lasts for about 2 weeks? worth it I spose?

I herd yesterday while on a ride that if you line the insides of your tyre with Pipe insulation foam and then pump up your tyre to a higher psi, you get less pinches as its a higher pressure and you get the bouncyness from the foam.

That's complete rubbish I'm afraid. If you try it (And I have), the foam compresses to nothing as soon as you put any air in the tyres. So it's then just added weight. The only thing that really works is a good tyre, with thick sidewalls. Maxxis dual ply are your friend :)

we have these things in my work, there great against thorns, put dont offer much protection against pinch flats. Panaracer do some, there basicly kevlar strips you stick on the innerside of your tyre - LINK

Yeah, cheers will be getting some anyway, probably just for the MTB just now... Do you know if the change the feel of the bike? For example less responsive? Any feedback on this would be much appreciated. Thanks

Rojo

The thing's we sell at the shop i work in are call slim liner's. They are very simular to the kevlar strip's and all they really do is stop you're tube from getting thorns stuck in it etc etc, they dont really effect the ride at all, well not that i know of as i have them on my road bike and it made no difference to the ride of the bike at all.

so just give it a good mate, what have u got to loose