How To Remove A Sprocket Easily From Cranks!

Joey B

I have had to remove fixed sprockets from cranks countless times and usually I just angle grind two flat side to the sprocket, clamp in a vice and batter it with a hammer. But this time i wanted to keep the sprocket as its only a couple of weeks old and its a Surley so I'm not just going to throw good parts away. I tried the blocks of wood in vice, chain in vice and the loose ends of the chain in the vice with the crank moving freely. None of these worked as i didn't have a long enough bar. Finally gave up and called dad in to see if he could think of anything, he had a look grabbed two bolts and put them in opposite holes in the drilling's on a Surley put a bar between then gave it a twist and it came off an absolute piece of piss.

I'd just thought I'd share this with you as I know this will help somebody out there.

Another thing is that this will only work for fixed sprockets with drilling's such as the Surley or Plazmatic, though i guess if it came to it you could drill a couple of holes for the bolts to fit into.

Piccy below to help explain it.

DSC00833.jpg

Chain whip + big f**k off extender and a heavy person. Took me and my dad 45 mins to remove the screw on cog from my fixed wheel. It was held in place with stupid locktite, I won't be doing that again.

Lol, why the hell would you need to use loctite on a rear fixed sprocket?

We tried to get the sprocket off my monty hub, when it wasn't built up.

We put the disc mount in a 3 jaw chuck in a lathe at my dad's works, and but a center into the end of the axle.

Snapped 2 chain whips and then gave up because we realised the hub was twisting like a biatch.

Lol, why the hell would you need to use loctite on a rear fixed sprocket?

When you slow down or have to do an E stop theres lots and lots of pressure going through (enough to shear a cleat in half) the rear sprocket.... so if your lockring came undone and you had to stop in a hurry and the cog was loose it would be a lose-lose situation... Albeit high unlikely, not a situation I would like to encounter!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but can you drill holes in a sprocket (ie a plazmatic 18t cog) and still keep it's strength?

Good luck, i tried drilling holes in some other 18 tooth sprocket, it didn't work, it only just scratched the surface. It's because they are made out of hardened steel and they are heat-treated so the chain cant wear the sprocket down, it will be extremley hard to drill through. Not sure about the strength.

Edited by liam_thornton

Good luck, i tried drilling holes in some other 18 tooth sprocket, it didn't work, it only just scratched the surface. It's because they are made out of hardened steel and they are heat-treated so the chain cant wear the sprocket down, it will be extremley hard to drill through. Not sure about the strength.

Sounds like you have shit drill bits and havnt used a centre punch or cutting fluid.

Sounds like you have shit drill bits and havnt used a centre punch or cutting fluid.

Sounds like he has a HSS bit, if the material is as hard or harder [see rockwell scale] then the drill bit accessories don't make a difference. I guess you would need a carbide tipped bit some mystic fluid to keep it cool and a low speed drill.

Edited by will