What Front Disc Would You Go For

Ladd

your talking a load of rubbish i am running a 180 magura louise and it is perfect there is only 20mm in it

He's not claiming in all cases it will snap the forks but it is substancially more likely to. Besides 180 on a mod is abit of overkill.

Stronger & safer (to hit) & lighter to go for 160.

Phil

Used all three have you?

I have, and would go BB7>Hope>Louise.

BB7s shit on everything from my experience.

Yeah, I have a friend with a 06' Monty 221 TI with front and rear Hope Mono trials, another friend with a Woodman Elite with front and rear Magura Louise, and yet another friend with an Echo Team with a front Avid BB7. I am just now getting a bike with a disc. I will probably go for a used one as well.

• 2 weeks later...
probally 160 disc because any bigger wold probally snap forks

I actually LOLed when I read that!

What planet are you on? Putting a bigger disc on doesn't snap the forks, sometimes the disk tab can break off some forks, which has nothing to do with what size rotor you have.

Well im guessing your thinking of either a bb7 or a hope?

BB7= alto more bitey, is striaght there type of brake to send you over bars. Use a sd7 lever and decent cable.

hope= has more modulation than the bb7 allowing you to roll the brake through easier.

thats all there is to it, if you like on off bitey brakes go for the bb7 if you like modulation then go for a hope or other hydro brake. Its all preference so just go with what you like.

I actually LOLed when I read that!

What planet are you on? Putting a bigger disc on doesn't snap the forks, sometimes the disk tab can break off some forks, which has nothing to do with what size rotor you have.

How doesnt it, peoples echo urbans have snap on the disk side leg due to runnigna 203 bb7 usually. Usually it doesnt happen on mods because everything is smaller so stiffer and strong than stock but a bigger disk can deffinately break a fork leg.

Well im guessing your thinking of either a bb7 or a hope?

BB7= alto more bitey, is striaght there type of brake to send you over bars. Use a sd7 lever and decent cable.

hope= has more modulation than the bb7 allowing you to roll the brake through easier.

thats all there is to it, if you like on off bitey brakes go for the bb7 if you like modulation then go for a hope or other hydro brake. Its all preference so just go with what you like.

How doesnt it, peoples echo urbans have snap on the disk side leg due to runnigna 203 bb7 usually. Usually it doesnt happen on mods because everything is smaller so stiffer and strong than stock but a bigger disk can deffinately break a fork leg.

Once the brake is locked up, which it always is when the weight is pulling backwards, it doesn't matter what brake you have, it's locked up.

I was running a Hope C2 until today, this was a really good brake :) when set right theyve got enough bite to see you through... But today i fitted my BB7, 160 rotor, XTR lever and oddesy cable to my ZOO! and this in my opinion is such a better brake, bites and holds really well so i would recommend BB7 :D

hi ive found that the best discs for me are the avid bb7, wich is a cable disc but is extremely powerfull, and the hope mini wich is hydrolic and has extreme stoping power no matter what the situation. but really its entirely up to you but if i was you i would try one of those. thanks daniel (trial chapy)(Y)

Once the brake is locked up, which it always is when the weight is pulling backwards, it doesn't matter what brake you have, it's locked up.

actually, ive been through loads of forks and i wholeheartedly blame the bb7. its not the size of the rotor that makes the difference, its the way they are mounted IMO. the adapters create alot more leverage, and f**king my forks.

have tried many avid bb7... magura julie... a monty v-brake...and now running a hope trials mono...

the bb7 felt a little spongy....

julie did not have much power....(always slipt)

monty v brake always annoying to adjust and in the end the cable split...

hope trials mono great brake excellent hold and easy to setup :rolleyes: (also uses dot 4 or dot 5.1 alot cheeper than mgura!)

hope this helped....

ste....