Gu Frame Painting

Henrik Y

I've started painting my GU 26" frame that I recently bought.

It's going to be copper metalic with a purple gold pearl and maybe some designs in dark gray metalic.

First I had to clean of some remains of an old crap paint that was on it and sandblasted it.

post-15818-1195411143_thumb.jpg

Masking the holes and bolts.

post-15818-1195411153_thumb.jpg

Base coat.

post-15818-1195411159_thumb.jpg

post-15818-1195500611_thumb.jpg

Edited by Henrik Y

i think you should make a army style coat where you get masking tape and make random shapes then spray it a darker colour like the base coat.

I've been thinking about that but I want to try some things with pearl and tribals design and some leaf gold. This is not cheep spraycan paint. It's 2 component car paints.

I see this very much as training because putting so much work into the paintjob on a trial frame that's going to be scratched is not so smart.

Only the paint costs about 70£. And if I wouldn't do it myself it would cost as much as the frame.

And now I'm done with the copper metalic but I can't get a pic until tomorrow because I borrow my neighbors garage.

I've got the pearl paint today and depending on the dry times and if I must lay the clear coat within a certain time I will do it this evening.

I've been thinking about the fork too. But I think that dull black will match the frame quite good. I may do some motif paint on it.

It's a dark copper paint that I'm using so it will not stick out so much from a black fork.

What spray gun are you using ? when i got a 3 stag pearl coat red paint it cost £80 not cheap stuff.

It's a DevilBiss but I don't know exact model, It's my brothers.

I haven't got the invoice paint yet but I'm afraid that the pearl will cost a little. I had the ground and clearcoat already but the copper and the smoke metalic 2,5dl each cost about £40 for a total of 0,5dl then I have 20% discount . And the pearl was only 1dl but I'm not supriced if that only will cost as much as the other paint.

Edited by Henrik Y

Yupp, I've painted the fork aswell but pics will come later on that one.

Clearcoated and ready for masking.

post-15818-1195993557_thumb.jpg

Tribal motif.

post-15818-1195993572_thumb.jpg

Masking the motif.

post-15818-1195993590_thumb.jpg

Cutting out the motif.

post-15818-1195993599_thumb.jpg

I was thinking about making this motif on the head tube with gold leaf.post-15818-1195993627_thumb.jpg

Masked and ready for painting.

post-15818-1195993638_thumb.jpg

This thing is going to look sexy :P

Reckon you could do a similar sort of thing, maybe involving requested designs on other peoples bikes?

Hmm... I don't think I would do that. It takes so much time and it's time I don't have, so I only do things for my self at the moment.

And I don't think people will pay a resonable price for the time it takes.

And you live in sweden ? :ermm:

Yupp, but this isn't my only hobby. I also Snowboarding, Skiing, Kiteboarding and Windsurfing on the sporting side. Then on the crafting side I have a MC and a car that takes some of my time but I also make japanese style blades. And on top of that I have to be a little social and comunicate with people on different forums for every hobby.

So my time is expensive.

gunna look sweet when you hoping to get it finished by?

I hope that I'll get finished this week because I live in my parents home right now but I'm studying welding in the south of Sweden, we live 600km north of that so I'm not able to do any painting down there when I go back there on saturday. If I'm not get it finished by then I could get it finished on the x-mas holidays.

Edited by Henrik Y