Uk National Championship 2008

BikeTrial Federation

A brilliant series in 2007, the UK National Championship dates are now set for 2008 ...

• 20th April 2008 - Round 1 - The Hook Woods Cup (2 day event)

• 18th May 2008 - Round 2 - The Blackpool Trophy (2 day event)

• 8th June 2008 - Round 3 - The Fort Bill Trophy (part of the UCI World Champs)

• 20th July 2008 - Round 4 - The Addingham Cup

• 5th October 2008 - Round 5 - The Shipley Glen Cup

NO LICENCES OR MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED - ALL WELCOME!

See www.biketrialuk.co.uk for information and entry forms.

Edited by BikeTrial Federation

• 4 weeks later...

I don't wish to bring negativity to this post but it seems to me like the "UK National Championship" isn't actually National at all, it seems to just be set pretty much in the northern part of England.

I'd love to go to a date to spectate, but April/May is when my university degree work has to be in, and although I could take one weekend off to come and view a trial, it would be quite a lot of hassle for me, due to the fact that my other friends who ride and would be willing to drive live in my home town of Weston-super-Mare, so I'd much rather come to one of the later dates, especially the final, as I imagine thats when some of the most competitive riding happens.

But when these are the locations of the so called National championship, I don't think I'll be able to come to any.

Please excuse me if any of the arrows are in the wrong place, I used google maps as best as I could but I thought they looked alright to me.

Now I live in Weston-super-Mare, near Bristol, so the closest date to me I would imagine is Hook Woods, as I've said before, because of university and other reasons, I wouldn't be able to come along to it. The last date, Shipley Glen, is at least 4 hours drive from me, and to be honest thats a bit too far for me to come just to watch a ride.

If I did wish to attend a trial, to spectate, or maybe to ride, it would be at least a 4 hour drive there and back, excluding Hook Woods which is only 2.5, so that would lead me to believe it would be easier to stay in a B&B or something similar to make sure I get a good nights rest for the competition in the morning, so that would mean travelling up the night before, staying in the B&B, watching/competing, then either driving home in the evening, or staying another night and driving home in the morning, to prevent the chances of falling asleep at the wheel due to tiredness, or something similar. However if I had to work on the weekend, which many people my age do as it's their only source of income, this would probably be impossible. I would also have to take into account the fact I'm losing two days of work, which is the only money I earn, to come up to this trial. Plus the cost of petrol and staying in a B&B, it makes it very expensive considering I have lost 2 days of income.

I'm unsure of the running times of a trial but say its 10am-4pm, if I wanted to arrive at the start of the trial and not stay overnight, I would have to leave my house at 6am at the latest, and I would then get home at 8pm at the earliest, this seems a bit unfair to me, as I would definitely not be at the peak of my riding having been up for at least 4 hours before the start of the trial, unless I slept uncomfortably in a car, and I don't see that happening to be honest.

As I said I don't wish to bring negativity to the post but it seems to me unless I live in West Yorkshire, I won't be able to attend any of the dates. Maybe you should consider competitors who live in the South of England when planning your National Championship.

Another thing, I thought the UK comprised of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, I understand why you might not want an event in NI, purely because of travel and costs and things like that, but thats no excuse to completely ignore Wales. Porthcawl has this huge reputation as far as I'm aware of being an awesome place to ride, and I'm sure there are places all around the coast of Wales, and in mid wales, that have excellent opportunity for natural, yet you completely ignore that area of the United Kingdom.

I don't know if I'm the only person to ever bring this to your attention, but there are actually trials riders all over the country, not just in Yorkshire.

I apologise if it's incoherent or hard to read, but I would appreciate if you could read anyway to understand my point.

Edited by JonMack

The best land lies in yorkshire jon ;) hehe.

i think it has got good scope, scotland, south and middle, yes there are 2 or 3 events in the middle,but if i could honestly advise you to ride anywhere in the country, Yorkshire would be one at the top of my list.

for example:

Shipley glen, Addingham moorside, Ilkley moor, Harden Moor, Brimham rocks, Theres loads of places over Ali C's way as well over hebden bridge.

Wayne (Y):)

The best land lies in yorkshire jon ;) hehe.

i think it has got good scope, scotland, south and middle, yes there are 2 or 3 events in the middle,but if i could honestly advise you to ride anywhere in the country, Yorkshire would be one at the top of my list.

for example:

Shipley glen, Addingham moorside, Ilkley moor, Harden Moor, Brimham rocks, Theres loads of places over Ali C's way as well over hebden bridge.

Wayne (Y):)

Apparently so haha.

Yeah it's just annoying that I cant get to any :(

Oh well, maybe when I can be bothered to learn to drive I'll get to some.

I don't wish to bring negativity to this post but it seems to me like the "UK National Championship" isn't actually National at all, it seems to just be set pretty much in the northern part of England.

I'd love to go to a date to spectate, but April/May is when my university degree work has to be in, and although I could take one weekend off to come and view a trial, it would be quite a lot of hassle for me, due to the fact that my other friends who ride and would be willing to drive live in my home town of Weston-super-Mare, so I'd much rather come to one of the later dates, especially the final, as I imagine thats when some of the most competitive riding happens.

But when these are the locations of the so called National championship, I don't think I'll be able to come to any.

Please excuse me if any of the arrows are in the wrong place, I used google maps as best as I could but I thought they looked alright to me.

Now I live in Weston-super-Mare, near Bristol, so the closest date to me I would imagine is Hook Woods, as I've said before, because of university and other reasons, I wouldn't be able to come along to it. The last date, Shipley Glen, is at least 4 hours drive from me, and to be honest thats a bit too far for me to come just to watch a ride.

If I did wish to attend a trial, to spectate, or maybe to ride, it would be at least a 4 hour drive there and back, excluding Hook Woods which is only 2.5, so that would lead me to believe it would be easier to stay in a B&B or something similar to make sure I get a good nights rest for the competition in the morning, so that would mean travelling up the night before, staying in the B&B, watching/competing, then either driving home in the evening, or staying another night and driving home in the morning, to prevent the chances of falling asleep at the wheel due to tiredness, or something similar. However if I had to work on the weekend, which many people my age do as it's their only source of income, this would probably be impossible. I would also have to take into account the fact I'm losing two days of work, which is the only money I earn, to come up to this trial. Plus the cost of petrol and staying in a B&B, it makes it very expensive considering I have lost 2 days of income.

I'm unsure of the running times of a trial but say its 10am-4pm, if I wanted to arrive at the start of the trial and not stay overnight, I would have to leave my house at 6am at the latest, and I would then get home at 8pm at the earliest, this seems a bit unfair to me, as I would definitely not be at the peak of my riding having been up for at least 4 hours before the start of the trial, unless I slept uncomfortably in a car, and I don't see that happening to be honest.

As I said I don't wish to bring negativity to the post but it seems to me unless I live in West Yorkshire, I won't be able to attend any of the dates. Maybe you should consider competitors who live in the South of England when planning your National Championship.

Another thing, I thought the UK comprised of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, I understand why you might not want an event in NI, purely because of travel and costs and things like that, but thats no excuse to completely ignore Wales. Porthcawl has this huge reputation as far as I'm aware of being an awesome place to ride, and I'm sure there are places all around the coast of Wales, and in mid wales, that have excellent opportunity for natural, yet you completely ignore that area of the United Kingdom.

I don't know if I'm the only person to ever bring this to your attention, but there are actually trials riders all over the country, not just in Yorkshire.

I apologise if it's incoherent or hard to read, but I would appreciate if you could read anyway to understand my point.

looking at that map they do look fairly national, 1 up 1 down 2 in the middle, seems reasonable to me, fort william is a right mission though but then it's only fair to the Scottish riders

it's still a fair mission for me to get to fort william the tomintoul road (from aberdeen to fort bill basically) is pretty herrendous half the stuff that goes across it is fairly slow moving and you'd really need to have balls to over take on it.

anyway fort bills got to be the best of them all due to all the other stuff that happens there at the same time i'll be going to that one at least, not sure about the others as most are about 6-7 hours away.

most of the good stuff seems to involve hills so I guess thats why there isn't much in the south

• 2 months later...

Entry forms for all UK National Events are now on-line for either download, or for on-line payment and entry.

Please send your entries as soon as possible. Cheques are never cashed until after the event. If an emergency arrises and you need to cancel, providing you cancel up to 6pm the night before your fees will be refunded.

Get your entries in now for 2 days at Hook Woods and 2 days at Blackpool !

• 3 weeks later...

Entry forms paid up and sent off! This should be an excellent weekend (2 comps in 2 days gonna be shattered come monday) really looking forward to it especially the Saturday!

Just need you other Essex boys to enteaswell to show them hows its done!

Tom

(off to Barcalona)

Directions are on the entry forms.

May be going with a couple of others as well.

Correct Jamie, directions are on the entry forms, although most comp riders will know their way to Hook Woods. For those that have not been there it’s a man made Trials paradise with more than enough obstacle outside of the sections for a play on Saturday night.

• 4 weeks later...