Cable Discs... Differences?

r2wtrials

Can someone enlighten me as to the differences of the various cable discs out there. I keep getting told to dump my hope front brake and put an Avid BB7 on, but notice shimano etc cable brakes much cheaper... are they crap? Is the avid so much better, and why. Or could i use a shimano cable disc with the avid levers i have and make it much the same as a BB7?

What experiences have you had with different cable discs? When i last rode about 4 years ago the cable discs were rubbish!!

The reason for thinking cable instead of maggie is that i like to have both the same levers for feel, and no chance of dumping the fluid on a get-off... of which there will be many :D

Edited by r2wtrials

Ive had 2 Hopes

And 2 BB7's

And a protech!

Used to have a Hope then i got a bit poor and sold it and brought a BB7 off a mate who was selling it cheap, with a 203mm rotor the brake was immense on my echo control, possibly too powerfull to be honest, used to shit myself pulling it is was just bloody dangerous lol then i sold that bike... got a bike with a Hope on, it packed up and they dont do free replacment... so ended up with a protech disk... and shit the bed its amazing! brought it for 3fags lol and its more than powerfull enough on a 180mm rotar... ive got a list of pro's and cons on hope VS bb7 on here but cant access the file right now... ill do it laters :)

The Avid BB7 is good with a decent lever like a Shimano XT or an Avid SD7, something along those lines, keep the cable lubed and in good condition and it will not fail you :P

I personally run a Hope because I like the feel of the hydro system, also I find it has a bit more modulation which can help at times and it holds as well if not better.

In terms of performance, I woud say that a hydraulic disc has a ever so slight advantage over cables. I cant put a reason to it, but near enough every hydraulic I've used was solid as hell all the time. My front bb7 however is exactly the same, i dont think a rhino could budge it, it locks SO well. Just my back one is a bit iffy every so often.

So all in all, Id go for cables because they're easy to tinker with, cheaper, and give a very similar performance

Sorry to jump in but i have a smiler problem.

Need a set of brakes for my new build. Obviously a Maggie for the back, but up at the front i have no idea.

I have bought disk only forks so that narrows it down.is the hope mono trial worth its price tag?

One thing I will say is, a lot of riders are doing fraken brakes.

One mate has a Shimano deore lever, with a magura marta caliper and some random hope rotor, solid as. Another has a hayes caliper with the deore lever again and an avid rotor, immense for downhill too.

Might be worth mixing and matching some mineral oil brakes togther to see what you can make up for cheap.

All the Shitmano ones, etc just have springs for the arm movement, where as BB7s have Ball Bearings (get it?) making them much smoother and nicer on the lever, so they have more power as there is waayyyy less friction in the caliper.

That's what I think anyway...?

I think it's fair to say avid bb7's are the only cable disc brake that are widely used for trials.

There are going to be people out there who use some other cable disc brake and find it excellent. But if you look at try-all freewheels and eno freewheels at the moment - everyone get's on with ENOs, and some love their try-alls and some have blown up.

What i'm trying to get as is sooo many people adore their avids like no other cable disc, i wouldn't risk buying something else unless you've heard posative things from dozens of people.

I've had 3 avid bbs. Loved the ajustability, but i just don't like the feel of cables. The 165mm i had on the front wasn't quite powerful enough, then when i bought my Ciguena which came with two 200mm avids i just replaced them stright away. The front had the power, so did the back, but they were both lacking the feel you get with hope mono trials.

However, if i was on a budget i'd be happy with avids. :)