Harness Use In Road Cars

huge

I am toying with fitting a four point harness to my car and was wondering if someone could clear up a few issues.

Which types of harnesses are road legal?

Which will pass an M.O.T. ?

Are there any specific laws relating to harness use/seat belt removal?

thanks

No they're fine, just make sure you torque up the bolts propperly.

Only put them in if your car is already "good". So don't bother if you've got a Corsa if you know what I mean ;)

In additon to that, for four points you'll need to use one of the rear belt mounts. Make sure the angle from the mounting point to the angle at which the belt will be under load is no greater than 45 degrees, MOT won't like that.

Edited by Wet Banana

there is something about a specific buckle that isnt allowed.... Nick will know

Mine are 3 points with a normal seat belt style buckle and went through fine. I watched them do the MOT and the guy just tugged hard on the anchor points and made sure the bolts where tight.

right, dont know the exact passage from the mot testing/inspection manual. but....

all mounting points should be secure. including the bolt, the mount, and the place it is mounting too

there should be holes within 12 inch of the mounting point(rusted holes, not regular drilled holes, unless there to the point where the panel is stupidly weak, in which case see above.)

they should have a locking device(buckle) which is operable using one hand only. and should obviously lock and release fine.

although as far as harnesses are concerned, they should by law be eec approved for highway use otherwise theyll fail an mot(unless the car was before a certain date in which case this rule doesnt apply, but i cant remember the date). and if there eec approved obviously the buckle etc wont be an issue

They have to be mounted at the correct height in the car for the mot but most people will let you away with using the rear seatbelt mounts as long as all points look secure enough and not in a stupid position you will get away with them mounting them to a roll cage harness bar is best really.

anything fia approved for rally is perfect to use in a road car, because rally cars have to be road legal for driving back to the services, etc.

A lot of MOT stations will take issue with the aircraft style buckles as found on FIA approved harnesses.

Easiest most convienient way of mounting is using existing mounts. 3 point: front lower mounts, rear C pillar mount. 4 point: front lower mounts, rear lower mounts (in some cars this can put you close to the 45 degree mounting angle limit, but is generally safe.

Bear in mind, if you have harneeses you can no longer use the rear seats legally, or safely.

If you fit standard seatbelts, but instead of using the std bolts, use harness eye bolts to secure them, then you can quick release your harness in and out when you feel like it. I will be doing this in my golf.