Car Insurance Question.

Mr Plod

Hey guys. Bought my Mini Cooper earlier and will be picking it up next Saturday so I'm looking around for quotes now.

I'm on Money Supermarket and I've entered my Dad as the policy holder and me and my mum as a named driver. Now me and my dad are at a disagreement as he drives a Peugeot Partner van and has 7 years No Claims Bonus. Now he seems to think that I can't enter on the policy that he has 7 years NCB as he still owns and drives the van... So he seems to think because he stills holds a policy on the van and so he'll have put 0 NCB on the policy... (I hope I'm making sense here). So he'll have his policy with the van which has 7 years NCB but he can't put that on the policy details as he'll still be running the van policy.

So yeah basically... Can I enter his 7 years NCB onto the policy details or doesn't it count?

If I can then my quote comes out as £823 whereas if I can't and leave the NCD as 0 then it'll shoot upto about £1809!!!

So a quick answer would be much appreciated please as I want to get a policy sorted.

Cheers guys and I hope it all makes sense lol

I'm not sure. You can only gain NCB on one policy at a time, I think. You'll have to phone the insurers up I'd imagine.

Either way, if you crash your car on his insurance, he's not going to be happy about losing those 7 years NCB ;)

I'm not sure. You can only gain NCB on one policy at a time, I think. You'll have to phone the insurers up I'd imagine.

Either way, if you crash your car on his insurance, he's not going to be happy about losing those 7 years NCB ;)

Haha don't tell me that! £800 is what I'm after! :( And I know. haha Worst comes to worst I can do it to my brothers address and get the cost down to about £1400 so it's not all bad. Still better than the £3000 i was getting for fiestas!

Put down your old man has recieved 7 year NCB.

Then, if for the unfortunate reason you have to claim, if he claims on behalf of you it will affect him. If you claim it will affect you and his 7 years will stay as they are :)

if he has gained that many it's most likely he will be protected, thus he maybe able to claim 3 times in 2 years without it affecting the years he's gained.

The situation with me, i went on my dad's, he had 8. He claimed but cause he was protected it hasnt effected his new policy on his ST 500 :)

Hope this helps.

Luke

There's something in the law to stop you from taking out two policies at once with NCB. Because if you claimed on one, you'd lose the discount on that but you'd still have 7 years or whatever on the other. I'm pretty sure there's something that stops you doing it, I can't remember exctly what though.

Doesn't matter too much about the claiming... Just confused as to the fact that I'm unsure if I can add his 7 years no claims bonus onto the policy details. I can see where you're coming from Tomm and it does make sense unfortunately :P. If he was to put the 7 years NCB onto the mini policy then when he goes to renew his van insurance he might not be able to put that he has 7 years NCB as he's already put them down on the mini. I'll be ringing the insurance companys up tomorrow anyway just to make sure but I just wanted a rough idea of what was correct or not. Like I said, I can get the policy in my own name to my brothers address for £1400 so it isn't all bad and I'd be happy to pay that if I can't use my dads NCB (Y)

Googled it:

Drivers can't share a NCB earned on one car between two cars.

Do you need to build up individual NCBs for each car that you want insured?

In most cases yes, but some insurers will mirror a NCB in special circumstances such as a weekend classic car or in my old mans case a high performance weekend car

Direct Line do a second car policy where the keeper of the first vehicle who has the initial policy opts for a second car. Direct line then insure that second car at cheaper rates than if it were a completely separate policy. The good thing here is that you do get a second policy which after one year carries the same NCB as the first. You can then assign this NCB to your spouse/partner. Hey presto, big NCB after just one year. Knock on one does not affect the other. You can have named drivers on both policies!

Still not quite sure what the law is, but at least I know that there is one and I didn't dream it up.

So according to that first one I'd have to put he has 0 years NCB... So in a sense the only way he can use that 7 years NCB is if he was to sell the van and transfer the NCB onto the mini policy or just use the 7 years from the van and transfer it onto the mini policy and start with 0 years on the van again...

When going through a parents insurence. There no claims are above your head aswell. Unless your dad has protected no claims, if you have a accident he will loose his no claims if there not protected.

They reccomend you start of no yuor own so you will build up your no claims for yourself. But the issue about your dad still owning the van means nothing. Its just your dad adding another car to his insurence with him been the maion driver and you as the other one.

It works out cheaper for you. But it's not benificial for in the long run.

Danny.

I dont mean to be rude, and much of what has been said already is infact correct.

But stop being a retard and wondering what you should 'put'

its a computer, it doesnt know your situation.

get on the bloody phone. its the only way.

I have 3 years NCB, applied to my audi, and my mini, and a car for tori when we buy it.

Of course, based on online quote sites, thats not possible. you just need to talk to people and they will help you out!

Strictly speaking, the only way you could possibly use your dads 7 years is to go through his current insurance company, insuring it as a second 'weekend' car as tomm said, hoping they will mirror his 7 year ncb onto the second car as they have for me. the problem here is, with 'weekend cars' most insurers will insist that the mileage is very low, usually below 5k.

Sorry if that came across as rude, but the internet is only good for getting a rough idea. if you actually call people up and have a decent chat, and explain what you want, a decent insurer will help you out 99% of the time.

If your 19 already, give HIC a call and try and speak to Martin.

EDIT: Balls, typed by prawn at prawns house in prawnland. on prawns lappy which has been invaded by rich. bum

I dont mean to be rude, and much of what has been said already is infact correct.

But stop being a retard and wondering what you should 'put'

its a computer, it doesnt know your situation.

get on the bloody phone. its the only way.

I have 3 years NCB, applied to my audi, and my mini, and a car for tori when we buy it.

Of course, based on online quote sites, thats not possible. you just need to talk to people and they will help you out!

Strictly speaking, the only way you could possibly use your dads 7 years is to go through his current insurance company, insuring it as a second 'weekend' car as tomm said, hoping they will mirror his 7 year ncb onto the second car as they have for me. the problem here is, with 'weekend cars' most insurers will insist that the mileage is very low, usually below 5k.

Sorry if that came across as rude, but the internet is only good for getting a rough idea. if you actually call people up and have a decent chat, and explain what you want, a decent insurer will help you out 99% of the time.

If your 19 already, give HIC a call and try and speak to Martin.

EDIT: Balls, typed by prawn at prawns house in prawnland. on prawns lappy which has been invaded by rich. bum

Thats fair enough. I was just using sites like money supermarket and so on to get a rough idea. I will be phoning up but was just curious thats all. I'm 20 as well so why would you recommend calling HIC? Are they specifically good for insuring minis and so on? Just trying to see whats the best out there and what you guys would recommend.

I'll be the main user yes as it's my car. But my dad would drive it from time to time... He uses his van for work yes and it is sorta the main vehicle as well in the sense he uses it to do other daily activities. I'm going to phone some companies up now so any recommendations? Cheers for the help so far

You can get done for non-disclosure if the insurance company think you're the main driver (as opposed to your dad), and they can refuse to pay I think. This would be more obvious when there are two cars on one policy, especially if one looks like a 'first car' (E.g. Fiesta, 206 etc).

If one van is for work though it is feasible that your dad would have another car for 'leisure'.

You can get done for non-disclosure if the insurance company think you're the main driver (as opposed to your dad), and they can refuse to pay I think. This would be more obvious when there are two cars on one policy, especially if one looks like a 'first car' (E.g. Fiesta, 206 etc).

If one van is for work though it is feasible that your dad would have another car for 'leisure'.

Well I'll phone them upto check. So far kwik fit are the cheapest with my mum as the policy holder and me and dad as additional drivers (My mum has a license but doesn't drive at all so it's ideal really). Will phone some companies up and get it sorted. Cheers for your help guys

Yeah, the main driver has to be the one who drives it most... But then again how will they find out?

Yeah exactly. How are they to know? If I have a smack in it and claim, how are they to know if I've been driving it alot. There's no way to prove it...

right most of this has probably already been said.

you build up your no claims per policy you own,you cant extend that no claims over to another policy.

i.e if youve got 7 years no claims on your dads van, you cant just go and stick 7 years on his van and your mini.

however upon speaking/bartering/arguing with insurance companies, theyll often give you an introductory discount equal to x number of years no claims if you have some on another vehicle(may not be 7, may be 4 or 5, but most companies reach full discount at 4 or 5).

however what you are doing is rather illegal, your not likely to get caught till you need it. and the more you need it, the more chance youll get caught. if you sideswipe a car and cause £800 worth of damage and claim, they may ask some small questions,who was driving, how much driving they do etc. if you cause £5000 worth of damage, theyll probably go a bit further into it, send an assessor round who will talk with all the policy holders etc. but if you crash into the back of a bentley arnage with 5 people in it, all claiming whiplash/head injuries. then the insurers will go as far as looking at bank statements for who bought fuel for it,asking neighbours who drives the car, perhaps going to your college/employers asking how often you turn up in said car.

difference being an £800 claim when you dont really need the insurance company, and chances are they willl pay out

a £5000 claim, when you could do with them, but im sure youll family could cope, and they may pay out

but a £150,000 claim, where it would near enough ruin you and your family, and there very unlikely to pay out