Car Insurance Question.

Mr Plod

I did it for the first year and a half of my driving. My dad as policy holder and car owner, me as named driver. He lived in Devon all the time this was happening. :)

Made my insurance 330 quid a year, rather then then 1400 a year i was getting under my own name. Now a year and a bit on i'm insured under a car 3 times as powerful, and 10 groups higher for 200 quid less then my first car insurance quotes.

Even got pulled over by police 3 times, all was like "says here the car is paul fryers", and i just said it was my dad, didn't even blink an eye lid.

Just hope you don't crash. ;)

Yeah exactly. How are they to know? If I have a smack in it and claim, how are they to know if I've been driving it alot. There's no way to prove it...

For example if you have a full time job and crash on the way to work, theyll query in great depth why you were driving it.

Yeah I suppose. But theres always gonna be that fear that I'm gonna hit someone and it's gonna bugger me up... Plus all the other idiots on the road that drive around with no insurance isn't going to help.

Guess I'll just go with my own policy but to my brothers address so it's coming up sub 2k and I'm sure I can get it for cheaper if I phone them up. Cheers guys been much appreciated.

Try out prudential car insurance.

Ive got a mini cooper (04 reg) and i paid just over £800 for my own policy (i was 20 at the time so might a bit more for you).

Tip for all:- If you get a renewl quote though the post go on there website start a new policy and it will be cheaper than your renewl quote, when you have sorted the new policy just ring them up and ask for them to swap you No Claims over to the new policy! I did this twice and the last one saved about £200!!!

James

So It'd have to be me on my own policy...

no not at all, you can still do it your way, but... be aware your breaking the law, admittedly they may not find out, but youll only find out whether they find out when you need it the most.

its up to you, if you dont crash you save yourself £600 or so.

if you crash the following may happen:

1)technically you can be done for driving without insurance (6 points + fine, bye bye driving license(as its within your first 2 years of driving))

2)you/your dad may(read you will, but it normally goes to court) be held responsible for any of the costs caused due to the accident (read damage to vehicles, passengers injuries,hire car fees, solicitors fees for the other parties insurers) which your insurance company would normally cover

3) your insurance company will also want to recoup any of their losses(i.e solicitors fees used in trying to put the other party at fault, and their solicitor/assessors fees for finding out youve got a fradulent policy)

4) you and your dad will also have the insurance policy cancelled. which doesnt seem too bad. till you go and fill an application/quote form asking you if youve ever had insurance refused or cancelled, and you tick yes (and its not in the last 5 years like accidents/fines, its ever) meaning most places wont insure you, and those that will be asking a hell of a lot of money for you and your dad to insure vehicles, for the rest of your driving life.

5) if they really wanted to throw the book at you, it is against the law,and could get you a criminal record, making getting a job for you very hard.

you may get away with it.

but considering the average claim for whiplash is something like £13000 per person now(as although you think its a neat £1500-2000 off claims direct, they take something like 85% of the money aparently). and its your first car. doing a rough head count between your mates with reasonably fast cars as first cars, see how many of them crashed their first car. and it looks mighty risky.

http://www.chrisknott.co.uk/ Even open saturdays! I was well impressed, i had one quote on my astraa turbo that beat the others by about £600, then CK beat it again by another £40 then chucked in some freebies like windscreen cover and legal cover.

You lied! They're only open Monday to Friday :P

Got a quote with HIC for £1900 on my own policy with dad as additional driver so it's not all bad (Y) That was over the phone as well... and to my own address lol

Edited by Gyser