Cars

Ducko

evenin'!

im after a diesel car becasue the good ol' fiesta is on its last legs!

im after something thats reasonably cheap to buy, good on insurance.

and something that will handle a good 100miles a day mon-fri job.

so if anyone has any good advice on a decent diesel to go for let me know

have been looking at 306 dturbos seem pretty reasonable

any advice appreciated

cheers

craig

evenin'!

im after a diesel car becasue the good ol' fiesta is on its last legs!

im after something thats reasonably cheap to buy, good on insurance.

and something that will handle a good 100miles a day mon-fri job.

so if anyone has any good advice on a decent diesel to go for let me know

have been looking at 306 dturbos seem pretty reasonable

any advice appreciated

cheers

craig

what you mean by pretty cheap we talking sub £500, sub £1000, sub £3000

306 dt's, and the hdi's are good cars, however expect a fair few electrical problems to of reared their heads on 306's dt's by now (a lot these can be put down to the wiring between door and pillar as it likes to crush/short the wires out) due to age.

but in all fairness that aint that many bad diesel engines out there.

the 1.7 isuzu lumped vauxhalls all go on for ever. but then the vaux's are a lot more succeptible to rust than the 306's.

theirs nothing wrong with the ford 1800 diesel lumps, but again the cars rust a lot more than 306's

vag diesel lumps will again run for ever.

i wouldnt be too worried about pickin out a car because of what diesel engine its running, pick what car you want,and then find a tidy diesel example(well the tidiest example your budget allows)

ok cheers mate,

was hoping to spend bettwen 800 and 1500.

i think ill have a search for a decent 306 then.

cheers

you should get a real tidy 306 within that budget.

perhaps consider also a cheap a4 tdi, saw a couple go through the auctions for around £1200-£1600 in the weeks leading up to crimbo.

george seamons off here had a toledo, thatd be tidy as well

george seamons off here had a toledo, thatd be tidy as well

that was mine, you would be fooking lucky to pick a diesal one up for less than 2k (if its a mk2), they are incredible cars though, i would get one again if the right one popped up :) not all that cheap to repair though :( even with secondhand parts but the power, comfort and looks soon make up for it, it WILL make you smile.

my vote goes for an a4 if insurance isn't an issue seeing as you are doing a fair few miles, you want something comfortable! If you can handle the horrific looks, a bmw 3 series might be worth looking into too, i've been very impressed by mine handling and comfort wise, i hear the diesals are pretty good (bit sluggish though) so you should be onto a winner there, just keep an eye out for dead bushes upfront, sloppy fan belt tensioners and the shittest car jacking system known to man.

as trials_punk said, the 1.7 izuzu engines are great, i had one in my 94 cavalier and the car was in the family since 1996 up until this year when we decided we had too many cars on the road, now she sits bored in the corner :( Just look out for super shite shocks and even worse seats! Cheap parts though and they look funky i think....

buy my 306 td! :rolleyes:

They are REALLY good cars, engines are mint and they are fairly nippy. They also fit a lot in, I can throw in two stocks without taking any wheels off.

Electrics are a bit dodge as people say, my clock doesnt work, rear screen heater, cig lighter and rev counter.

I would reccomend one though.