Macbook Air

Boswell

Well it's going to be around those times. Thats about the time of a Vista bootup, dunno how long that usually takes but my MBP is about 30 seconds, so its probs gonna be sub 10 seconds.

And yeah, SSD's are flash memory, solid state means the same thing :) .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_state_disk

:)

Faster startup (as no spin-up is required).

Faster random I/O (compared to hard disk drives).

Extremely low read and write latency (seek) times, orders of magnitude faster than the best current hard disks drives.

Faster boot and application launch time when hard disk seeks are the limiting factor. See Amdahl's law.

In some cases, somewhat longer lifetime – Flash storage typically has a data lifetime on the order of 10 years before degradation. If data is periodically refreshed, it can store data indefinitely.

Few to no moving parts.

For small SSDs up to 64GB, lower power consumption and heat production.

For small SSDs up to 64GB, no noise – Lack of moving parts makes the SSD completely silent (although high-end SSDs may include cooling fans).

Better mechanical reliability – Lack of moving parts almost eliminates the risk of mechanical failure. High level of ability to endure extreme shock, high altitude, vibration and temperatures[2], which apply to laptops and other mobile devices, or when transported.

Relatively deterministic performance– unlike hard disk drives, performance of SSDs is almost constant and deterministic across the entire storage. This is because "Seek time" can be constant, so fragmentation has less impact on performance than on physical drives.

For very low-capacity SSDs, lower weight and size. Size and weight per unit storage are still better for traditional hard drives, and microdrives allow up to 20 GB storage in a CompactFlash 42.8×36.4×5 mm (1.7×1.4×.2 in) form factor. Up to 64GB, SSD is lighter than Hard drive for the same size

To be fair though. For what you're getting, and I mean, you're really getting something. It's not "really" expensive.

I'm sure someone that works as a Photographer professionally or something like that, could write it off at the end of the year right ? Tax Expenses I think ?

The only thing im impressed about is the Solid State Drive. Good news to finally see them coming into the mainstream market. Hope the prices drop soon.

I'm with you on this one.

Looks sexy, but there's no way in hell I'd even consider one.

Don't forget however that you have to spend another £65 to get an (external) optical drive.

I do like it a lot otherwise though. It's funny how they claim it's 0.19in thick and will fit into a standard Manila envelope. However it's 0.19in thick at the thinnest point of the laptop, which is at the edges and the rest is 0.4in thick :D

Don't forget however that you have to spend another £65 to get an (external) optical drive.

Or you could just use one of your other macs/pcs to install software via Remote Disc as long as they're on the same network. Which I imagine they would be.

My superdrive hasn't worked for about... 3 or 4 months, but it doesnt bother me as I rarely use it, infact I'm looking into taking it out and doing this with it.

Just checked out prices, £50 for the adaptor and less than £100 for the external drive, and I could have a 500gb laptop, or have it setup in a RAID formation.

Edited by JonMack

sony made a laptop the same size 3 years ago, granted this is much better!

think that apple may be targeting the wrong market, the only use i can see this having for the people that currenty use macs is as a field laptop, but that woud mean you would need two compters, its proper good, but not sure it will be a success

that was quite an interesting read jon, good find! i guess your right about the journalist i didnt think about that, but still, if its guna me a field laptop is going to on and off charge and no user replacement batterys. not coool, guess you will have to send it off to apple.

I can wait to see one, forum competition.........whos going to be the first to get one?