Trials Will Always Be A Part Of Me......

Robbie22

Hi there,

Wow, I was just thinking of selling my Cannondale Ashton Signature edition on eBay cause it's been lying in my garage back in Bonn for the last 6/7 years now. When I got a lousy email offer (I thought it was anyway) of something like €250 I started to think: gosh, this is worth much more to me than that! I could easily win that amount on online poker in one night... And what would I lose?! A beautiful iconic piece of memory of all those hours I had spent on a bike in my youth, well, and a beautiful bike!

Searching online for an appropriate price, I stumbled over so many sites which gradually brought up more and more memories of what a great time and how much passion I had for biking & my bike. (Ufff I must sound like an old man in a midlife crisis, although I'm just 24! But I guess it's cause I'm just finishing my last year at uni and am coming closer to the exciting, but daunting prospect of working for some investment bank for the next couple of years).

When I though how much I'd want for each part, I had images coming up of how - years ago - I was glued to the video recorder, pausing and playing Ashton and Hayes' "Dirty Tricks and Cunning Stunts" thousands of times just to see exactly what parts they had on their bike, so I could have exactly the same..!

Then I saw rathergoodpie's post here on the trials-forum http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....howtopic=107291 , which made me so jealous! Almost like Christian Bale in American Psycho, I realised, his looked so much better than mine, despite all my perfectionist efforts!!!!!

Now, despite my dissertation, I can't stop myself but search every international eBay site, calling Cannondale dealerships and head offices, calling Holland, Italy, Singapore, Australia and even waking a poor lady (called Grace ^_^ ) in Taiwan in the middle of the night, to find that rechid CODA Competition Mountain Saddle Volvo/Cannondale Team Edition.

Oh well, I hope I will eventually find one, but through all this I just cant wait to get back to my good old bike in Bonn to finally feel the passion again :P

As soon as I find out how, I'll post a pic of my bike and you can let me know what you think (or is that option only for authorised members?)

See you!

Robbie

PS: Didn't know such sexy trialers existed :Phttp://www.trialsqueens.com/Czech%20Republic.htm

Ace! I though it was just me who obsessively paused video's and glared at magazines to have exactly the same bike as one of the Martin brothers :$

So good that now I can finally have everything I always wanted 'cos it's all so old so costs nothing!!

Look forward to seeing it! :D

Hi there! Here's my Cannondale Ashton =)

gallery_16769_1819_96980.jpggallery_16769_1819_33095.jpg

The specs are:

- XTR rear derailleur/cassette

- CODA Tarantula crankset (removed large chain ring)

- XT BB/Hubs

- SRAM Attack

- Magura HS33 hydraulic brakes

- Chris King headset

- Azonic DH stem and bar

- Mavic D521 Ceramic rims

- IRC ElGato DH tires

What do you guys think? ^_^

As I'm just getting back into it I'm thinking of doing it up a little...

I was thinking of changin the saddle to the Coda Competition Mountain Saddle Volvo/Cannondale Team Edition

(image link: http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...ficial%26sa%3DN ) but as mentioned before it's impossible to find!

gallery_16769_1819_1448.jpg

Any ideas where i could get one?!?! Or know anyone who has one?! The blue rails are so awesome and all that are on eBay only have the yellow one and aint got the white stripe on the side....

Apart from that I was thinking of getting the MRP mini me 5mm outer chain ring and use it as a bash guard.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17738

I know some of you might ask why I dont just skim it down to the small chainring and get a Blackspire Granny God in stead, but I kinda like to have the middle one too for street riding. For 34 teeth I think the silmver MRP mini me is probably the coolest one out there, ey? By the way - what size of bashguard do I need for the Tarantula - I mean the spacing between the bolts?!

I just bought a Rock Shox sidehop '98 for the occasional rough ride (NEW for $150) - should look cool in blue , but I definitely love the P-bone 'R' and will surely ride alot with it! But hey, No-Way'Ray also has suspension :D

Why is everyone so enfatuated with the Cannondale Fatty's? I prefer the P-bones by 100000000 times.

Looking for ward to your comments!

Robbie

Edited by Robbie22

Love it! You're right on the P-bones too :D

I want my Giant finished even more now, worse than that though, I want the ollld ATX round tubed one (tricks and stunts stylee) might just have to track down an old mate for that... B)

You should get some headshocks for it rather than the Rock shox!

Love it! You're right on the P-bones too :D

I want my Giant finished even more now, worse than that though, I want the ollld ATX round tubed one (tricks and stunts stylee) might just have to track down an old mate for that... B)

You should get some headshocks for it rather than the Rock shox!

Hehe! Let's see who gets there first ^_^

I think Ashton had two (or more) bikes in tricks and stunts, but for the headshocks you need a headshox frame with a bigger head tube...

Have you watched the 2nd t&s, bi-king? I've been thinking of ordering it on amazon - said to be even better!

LOL I just saw Ashton's birthday is on 12th February - I'm on 17th :D AAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhh the talent of aquariuses!

Robbie

Yeah I think they both had a couple of bikes 'cause they switch between disc and Magura loads throughout.

Bit crap init, headshocks would make your bike even more ultimate! :D

I've got Bi-King - the Giant I'm building is more a rep of Hawziee's bike in that incarnation :) Bi-King's a less bare basic educational, more technical riding with helpful hints, soundtrack is equally as good, of course I had to download every song off that aswell ^_^

Ha, you make me feel so much better knowing I'm not the only loser on the planet obsessed with those bikes :giggle:

Have you seen the American video's of the same era, Revolution, Evolve + Contact? All well worth a watch if you havn't!

Yeah I think they both had a couple of bikes 'cause they switch between disc and Magura loads throughout.

Bit crap init, headshocks would make your bike even more ultimate! :D

I've got Bi-King - the Giant I'm building is more a rep of Hawziee's bike in that incarnation :) Bi-King's a less bare basic educational, more technical riding with helpful hints, soundtrack is equally as good, of course I had to download every song off that aswell ^_^

Ha, you make me feel so much better knowing I'm not the only loser on the planet obsessed with those bikes :giggle:

Have you seen the American video's of the same era, Revolution, Evolve + Contact? All well worth a watch if you havn't!

Great, well I think I'll order the DVD then :)

Haven't seen those other videos - where do I find them?

Is there any chance you can view/download these online?

Robbie

Edited by Robbie22

Im in a very similar position myself. Im just getting back into trials after 5 years off. I loved the old cannondale ashton rode in Chainspotting. Those were the days.

I think that the fact it still resembles a 'normal' mountain bike is what makes it special. From a spectators point of view aswell its easier to appreciate the skill involved in riding trials on a bike like that rather than the heavily modified, seatless, 9" seatube, singlespeed, 24" wheeled trials bikes you see today. Just my tuppence worth.