Grinds?

echo_rob

hey there,

I'm looking in to grinding my rear rim. I usually run smooth with tar and plazzys but I'm thinking if it would be good with a nice sharp grind.

But the only problem with grinds I seem to find, is that the grind goes dead after about 3 weeks, and then your brake is worse than ever before! (in my experience)

Then you try and tar it and the tar simply goes into the cracks in the dead grind and creates a sheen of smooth tar, so your brake is even worse!!!

It may possibly be the grinder and disk I used???

I dont know so any help would be appreciated :)

thanks

rob

I like to run a sharp light grind on my echo 07 rear rim, im using ZOO! pads and it works mint, but got the same problem as you i have to re-new my grind monthly. Certain rim alloys are softer than others and obviously pad compounds are different too some designed to be used with SMOOTH rims. The only way to increase grind life in my opinion is to make a harsher grind, experiment with rim and pad combinations and make sure you are using the correct grinding disk one that doesnt just scratch the surface of the rim but cuts into it, also the angle at which you hold the disk against the alloy can increase the sharpness or flatness of the grind. Hope this helps.

Zoo pads on any form of grind :blink: are people going mad ?

Zoo pads love smooth rims.

But, I don't really go for sharpness, i just grind the shit outta it so it's mega deep, mega sharp and mega harsh. My brake always works :)

Danny.

I thought they were ok on a smooth rim but finding them way better on a light grind, yea i know they will get eaten alive in a few rides but oh well.

Rock pads with a medium grind, it's the best maggy I have ever had, but it's still nothing on my disc.

I'd be getting some necopads if Iwas sticking with it, but hopefully my EMA bonus will appear next week, then I can afford an 08 frame.

Someone buy my spare bike!

Have you tried cleaning your rim with paint thinner or whitespirit? Your rim might of got contaminated. Wack some of that on your rim then go out for a bit and drag your brake till it holds.

Joe

Edited by Joeee

• 1 month later...
i do my grinds with a disc simular to this taadaa!,the gaps in the disc seem to add a bit of carnage to the rim (Y)

steve

I've tried one of those before and depending on the rim material its entriely possible to rip chunks (it was about 3mm deep and 4mm across at the top of the rim) out of the rim.