Yay Another Ipod Problem!

Barbra

Right, was updating my ipod with some more music as usual the other day. I plugged it in and i had a windows balloon come up and say 'windows does not recognize a device connected to this computer' at the same time itunes was saying 'your ipod is corrupted it needs to be restored..' So i went to restore it. But then it all crashed, so i plugged it back in. Now itunes won't recognize its plugged into the computer, and windows doesn't recognize it either. I followed directions from the apple support site, and clicked a link saying. 'request repair' Which when i clicked asked me for my serial number. So i put that in, and it came up with invalid serial for some stupid arse reason.

Now when i turn my ipod on, i get a big red cross in the center of my screen and a url to the apple support website, and nothing else.

Is there anyway for me to fix this from home? Anyone had a similar problem and had it sorted, if so how?

btw. Before any smart arse says 'use the search'. I did. Couldn't find anything about my problem ;)

Edited by Barber

Im just going to say dont buy an iPod.

Yes I can say this because I do own one, all of my friends own them and have had more problems than any other MP3 player I have seen, as well as the annoying DRM not allowing you to copy files to and from the iPod, also syncing to just one iTunes library is pretty annoying.

There shold be a way to factory reset however you will lose your data.

Rather than start a new thread, I'm just wondering. My sisters bought a load of songs of Itunes (who would pay for music?!) but anyway, if I was to format her laptop could I backup all those songs an have them back on itunes after a reinstall? I seem to remember the DRM on itunes being a right twunt an you couldn't copy the songs anywhere. I know if I wipe all the songs off, when she pairs her ipod to her laptop, she'll probably have wipe all the songs off the ipod because it'll think its a different computer an she'll have to start over again.

Rather than start a new thread, I'm just wondering. My sisters bought a load of songs of Itunes (who would pay for music?!) but anyway, if I was to format her laptop could I backup all those songs an have them back on itunes after a reinstall? I seem to remember the DRM on itunes being a right twunt an you couldn't copy the songs anywhere. I know if I wipe all the songs off, when she pairs her ipod to her laptop, she'll probably have wipe all the songs off the ipod because it'll think its a different computer an she'll have to start over again.

Just put the songs on a external hard drive?

Right, was updating my ipod with some more music as usual the other day. I plugged it in and i had a windows balloon come up and say 'windows does not recognize a device connected to this computer' at the same time itunes was saying 'your ipod is corrupted it needs to be restored..' So i went to restore it. But then it all crashed, so i plugged it back in. Now itunes won't recognize its plugged into the computer, and windows doesn't recognize it either. I followed directions from the apple support site, and clicked a link saying. 'request repair' Which when i clicked asked me for my serial number. So i put that in, and it came up with invalid serial for some stupid arse reason.

Now when i turn my ipod on, i get a big red cross in the center of my screen and a url to the apple support website, and nothing else.

Is there anyway for me to fix this from home? Anyone had a similar problem and had it sorted, if so how?

btw. Before any smart arse says 'use the search'. I did. Couldn't find anything about my problem ;)

Mate you have some problems.

If its still in warranty then i would send it off to get sorted and if its not then id say you have f**ked it.

Just to say iv always had ipods and now iv got a iphone.

Iv never had a problem with any of them that was not down to me as in dents, cracked screen.

I LOVE APPLE

you could put them on her ipod, (if she has one, if not then she's a fool for using itunes) then format it and transfer purchases back to the computer

Just put the songs on a external hard drive?

I thought you could do neither because of the DRM protection. If she has them on her ipod (which she does) then once I've formatted the laptop and plugged her ipod back in, it'll either give me the choice of deleting her songs of her ipod (so the songs will have gone totally and having to buy them all again) or keeping the songs on her ipod, but not let her add any more songs to it because it thinks its a different computer and your not allowed to add music to your ipod from multiple devices, only the original computer. I know I could back them up on a external HD, but itunes hides the songs in a really weird hidden filesystem where theres like 60 folders labelled 06 and B3 etc. an the artists aren't together its just a nightmare. I hate apple. Almost as shit as MS.

it's been a long time since i used either an iPod or iTunes (or anything else from the iCrap range for that matter...) BUT i had the same problem a few years back and the iTunes store just allowed me to re-download all the songs i had already bought? I think it allowed for 3 computers or something so that you could have you music around the home or at uni or whatever. forgive me if thats changed, but you should check into it before you format it :)

also, i know the filesystem is weird, but surely if you just take a note of how it's all structured and put it back in the same place it'll be fine? back in the day when DRM wasn't as good there were ways round this...

hopefully you find a way!

Yeah PocketRocket is right - you can download all your songs again from the iTunes store, or you can just back them up. You can 'authorise' a different computer to play them, I think you can do this 5 times. Anyway, just read this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014 Remember to 'deauthorise' the computer before formatting it though, in case that affects it.

The weird file structure thing is only on the iPod itself. All my iTunes music is in neatly arranged folders (iTunes music/artist/album/song), don't see why yours would be any different?

Dangnabbit, full on hijacked there >_<

Meh mate, nothing much you can do... Is it recognized in the compy ? If so, you could try formatting it with the HP usb formatting tool to fat 32 than restore it in iTunes. If the computer doesn't see it, you could try running the system check on the ipod (center and left simultaniously after reseting the iPod by center and menu) and see what's up, or try putting it in disk mode (center right) you might get a bit more luck. If not, I would personaly try it in Linux as I find it can see pretty much anything that other oses don't, but if you don't have a distribution on hand or know anyone who does, it's not like it could do much. Else, contact apple and hot you get a hot chick who's half decent with you...

Could well be a dead hard drive. Does it do anything when you connect it to the computer?

You probably need to take it to a Apple shop. Luckily for me there's 2 within 5 miles of my house, but for other people it can be a total hassle. If it's in warranty they should be able to sort you out there and then. If it's not in warranty, google for what the exact error message is - there are plenty of sites/forums dedicated to iPods so it's fairly easy to get an answer from somewhere.

Dangnabbit, full on hijacked there >_<

If you've got a Live linux CD, something like Knoppix. Then start up in that an you'll be able to look through your ipod an hopefully get what you need off of it an put it on your hard drive. Then you'll just have to reset the ipod an start from scratch, an put what songs you could get off with Knoppix.

yea itunes has the 5 pc's rule. alternatively, burn an mp3 cd/dvd or two. and just reload it from that.

yea itunes has the 5 pc's rule. alternatively, burn an mp3 cd/dvd or two. and just reload it from that.

Yeh you should just be able to re-authorise the computer and you will get the music back.

I had all my music and the odd songs i had bought off itunes on my old desktop PC, i then transferred all my music onto my mac (apart from the ones i bought), entered my apple ID details to log into itunes, then authorised the computer, connected my ipod, checked for purchases and got the songs back.

As for everyone who hates itunes and ipods, whats the justification behind it (apart from it taking quite a bit of processing power)?

I've found the ipods to work without any real problems and itunes is fine, as i prefer the GUI and find it easy to sort out all my music etc.

The problem is Apple forcing you to use their software. To buy music from the iTS you have to have an iPod to play it on, to download podcasts you need to use iTunes really. I agree, the whole setup works really well. I have a few podcasts which I've subscribed to, they get automatically synced the next time I connect the iPod, as well as any new albums I've got etc. It works great.

Which is fine if you have an iPod and you like the software, but really annoying if you don't! So for a lot of people there is no alternative to having an iPod and they've got a total monopoly. Just think how different the world might be if you could sync your Creative/iRiver properly in iTunes.

in reguard to the topic starter not the topic hyjacker :P

my ipod did this the other day rather than formatting my ipod i disconnected it from the computer, hit it added a few swear words to the mix, blew in the cable end, blew in the ipod reconnected it and it was all good, if that doesnt work,

change USB ports

nick

Cant be bothered to start a new topic...so..

Ipod headphone warranty - The headphones that came with my ipod touch back in september have gone a bit crappy, the bottom part (the bit that goes into the ipod itself) the jack or whatever its called, where the cable starts at that end has come apart and the wires are now showing and starting to fray and i give them a few days before it breaks, although they work fine at the moment.

So are these covered under the one year warranty and under this kinda of damage although i dont even know what actually know what caused it?

Edited by Bondy

I doubt they'll be covered, sounds like wear and tear from being in your pocket. Also those headphones are utter shite and are worth about £2 so it's not even worth bothering with. Use this as an excuse to get some decent headphones (preferably not white ;) )