Chain Skipping Problem

alex_jsy

Alright, got my bike set up all nice, only problem was the chain was skipping loads! Was using one of the £10 mr control tensioners

all set up right then i switch to a big fat derailleur and it seemed fine. Now wanted to add another gear to make it easier to cycle round

places (one for trials, one a bit harder) and since fitting it to my bike the chain just skips like crazy on the gear

I'm pretty sure this is down to the chain not being tight enough.

Using a KHE Collapse (short as possible on the setup) on 20x16/12 gearing (Cogs are as central as possible to give a nice straight chainline)

Any ideas how i could sort this out?

It sounds most likely the stiff links in the KHE chain, as alot of riders have has this problem with them. They're ok if your using them on a SS set up, but if your using it with gears then I dont think it will run as smooth.

I would try out a KMC chain, very good price, so worth a try:)

Thanks

Dan

If I'm right and it's skipping on the 12t cog, it could be a chain-wrap problem. According to the angle the chain is coming off the back sprocket, it could be running on just 4 or so teeth (especially if you 'down tension' with a tensioner or have a mech that is a, locked out with the main arm down away from the chainstay or b, not locked out and the chain is a little long).

Any pics of your set-up? Running with any tensioner on a sprocket as small as 12t will be tricky.Bbut with super tight tensioner and preferably a lower chain lin going either perfectly horizontal from the bottom of the rear cog or preferably upwards, things could be sorted :).

In the mean time, don't hit your knee on your stem too hard, hurts like a bitch! :

Yeah, does sound like a stiff link problem. That or you haven't got the mech/tensioner align properly?

I would suggest a Kmc Kool too, but I've had so many problems with mine recently. Fair enough it's old, and made up of about 4 different chains, but the links just splay apart, no snap?

Even happened when it was new. The pins are just too short...

It could be a few things, stiff links, chain rap (shortening chain as much as possible helps to solve it), cog, tension. With the khe people have found when its used with certain cogs it skips so a different cog might help. I think changeing parts untill its fine is the best bet, starting with getting more tension first. And then chain or cog.

Oooh, something it could be....

Are all the components the same age? If a new cog is used with an old chain or vice-versa big annoying skipping problems can happen!

Check chain alighnment, oild your chain, check the chain passes through the mech cages ok (if you have spaced the mech to make the chain fit, make sure you haven't re-tightened the jockey wheels so tight they can't spin, I've done it before, whoops! hehe), can the chain be shortened, enough chain-wrap?

Drivetrain, what a nightmare! lol