Anyone Do Skiing Or Snowboarding?

Boswell

Went snowboarding for the first time in december, never skied before, dent have any lessons before i went which was a bit stupid.

Spent a day on the nursery slopes learning to start stop and turn

Then had possibly the best time of my life for 4 days was ace

I really think trials sets you in good stead for learning stuff like snowboparding as your balance and co-oedination is really honed through trials and also the mysterious art of visualisation!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive been to fernie...4 TIMESS :D

Where did you stay/eat?

If you ever ate in Kelseys (at base of mountain) you probably met me good friend ashley hehe.

I stayed at the cornerstone

we ate at kelseys most nights :rockon:

Its soooooooooooo nice there (as you can guess i like my food) lol

I went on the rail park there and it was mint (to watch) ^_^

Ben

i do both skiing and snowboarding. i have so for the past six years. right now at this point i love skiing a whole lot more than snowboarding. more versitile and more comfortable. i live at the bottom of a ski mountain back home, so i always had it as an opportunity to wake up, cruise up the mountain and ride all day on the weekends and holidays. this year was the first year since i can remember i havent done either:( oh well, theres always next year!

• 2 weeks later...

Woooop!

Hit my first box and decent sized kicker today at Xscape in Cass. Was doing front and backside board slides by the end of the night, pretty happy!!

I need to buy me a board I think. The hire ones are so stiff they're shit. Thinking about a 156 Ride Havoc cheap from last season, anyone got any other suggestions?

I've got about £400 to spend on board and bindings although anything cheaper would be nice as I want a new coat :) :)

Woooop!

Hit my first box and decent sized kicker today at Xscape in Cass. Was doing front and backside board slides by the end of the night, pretty happy!!

I need to buy me a board I think. The hire ones are so stiff they're shit. Thinking about a 156 Ride Havoc cheap from last season, anyone got any other suggestions?

I've got about £400 to spend on board and bindings although anything cheaper would be nice as I want a new coat :) :)

Is it mostly for the Snowdome? Because if it is, you ought to go for something small and bendy. A Lib-Tech Skate Banana would be pretty awesome but they're expensive cos of the trendy magnetraction shit.

If I was getting a board for everything (inc mountains) though, it would probably be a Ride DH (It's a full twin designed for 'all mountain' and it looks wicked) or a Lib-Tech TRS (again with magnetraction). Or at the slightly cheaper end, a Rome Solution (I've ridden one of these from a few years back and it's really nice). I don't know much about the Havoc. Guess it depends what you can get in the sales though.

By the way, I would have thought that hire boards would be really floppy, no?

Is it mostly for the Snowdome? Because if it is, you ought to go for something small and bendy. A Lib-Tech Skate Banana would be pretty awesome but they're expensive cos of the trendy magnetraction shit.

If I was getting a board for everything (inc mountains) though, it would probably be a Ride DH (It's a full twin designed for 'all mountain' and it looks wicked) or a Lib-Tech TRS (again with magnetraction). Or at the slightly cheaper end, a Rome Solution (I've ridden one of these from a few years back and it's really nice). I don't know much about the Havoc. Guess it depends what you can get in the sales though.

By the way, I would have thought that hire boards would be really floppy, no?

Cheers for the info :)

They're not floppy at all which is really odd and annoying!! After talking to a mate I'm gonna try get a Ride DH in 155. There's a 157 in Slide snowboard store in Sheffield but I've been riding 155's for a while and I want flicky for the snowdome and park.

They have good reviews in most places and although they're still quite a bit of money in the sales I've found one from 05/06 season in good condition for £90! Hopefully it's still for sale.

I'm unsure about bindings actually now, a friend told me Ride ones are kinda reputable for breaking so I'm tempted to go for Burton's hmm.

I don't think Burton have a particularly good rep, but the warranty is amazing - you can usually just go into any shop which stocks Burton (I.e. All of them) and get a swap/repair.

Now is the best time of year to buy though (Y)

05/06 is pretty old but it might have been used for 1 week, or 3 seasons! You just don't know really. If it's been used for more than 1 season it'll probably be all floppy and dead. My board is an 04/05 but I've had it since then and I know how much use it's had - it's completely fine. So it all depends. Also I'm pretty sure Ride changed the DH in 06/07 or something to make it a true twin which is cool, and that version got really good reviews. I'm not sure about pre-06/07 you see.

I don't think Burton have a particularly good rep, but the warranty is amazing - you can usually just go into any shop which stocks Burton (I.e. All of them) and get a swap/repair.

Now is the best time of year to buy though (Y)

05/06 is pretty old but it might have been used for 1 week, or 3 seasons! You just don't know really. If it's been used for more than 1 season it'll probably be all floppy and dead. My board is an 04/05 but I've had it since then and I know how much use it's had - it's completely fine. So it all depends. Also I'm pretty sure Ride changed the DH in 06/07 or something to make it a true twin which is cool, and that version got really good reviews. I'm not sure about pre-06/07 you see.

Ahh right.

I'm unsure about the 155/157 sizing still. I've been riding 155 at Xscape on theirs but the dude at Slide said it shouldn't make much difference. There's a Ride DH 157 there for £238 or maybe get something like this from American eBay and ship it, working out a bit cheaper.

You think it'll make much difference? I just don't want to make a wrong decision on it and be kicking myself in a few months! I'm 5ft 11" ish and will be using it for the park a lot. I'm not sure how much 2cm will make. That'd be a brand new one too, obviously. :)

Cheers for the help so far haha.

I don't really know about the size. I reckon you'd struggle to feel a difference really. I'm 6'0 and I ride a 158 which I reckon is perfect for what I do (Which I suppose would be like everything, but with a freestyle slant :unsure: ). For park/rails only I'd have something smaller but for deep snow I certainly wouldn't so it largely depends what you'll be using it for. Even for big jumps you don't want anything too small and soft. I reckon the 157 would be about right for a 'do anything but mostly park' board. Unless you're a total park monkey and want something smaller. That seems like a good price.

Haha, I'm well jealous of that board, looks sweet. I did have to check those weren't girl binding though. They look quite... effeminate? :P

don't be silly :P

just cos they're baby blue doesnt mean they're for gays or women haha!

They're just these bindings: http://www.boardwise.com/estorepro/storede...mp;brand=Burton

but blue instead of black like this:

038211.jpg

:) I love it. Gonna test it tomorrow, see what the angles are like, no doubt they're totally f**king wrong knowing my luck!!

don't be silly :P

just cos they're baby blue doesnt mean they're for gays or women haha!

They're just these bindings: http://www.boardwise.com/estorepro/storede...mp;brand=Burton

but blue instead of black like this:

038211.jpg

:) I love it. Gonna test it tomorrow, see what the angles are like, no doubt they're totally f**king wrong knowing my luck!!

wow, just wow