Drum And Bass Creation

*PHIL*

Hey,

I'm on a Music Production course at ACM in Guildford (www.acm.ac.uk). I'd gladly get some pointers for you.

Also, I'm taught by some massive d&b fanatics, a few even have world recognition, can sure get them to have a listen to it :)

slightly off topic, but do you know Kristian Donaldson at all? Guess it would depend which year you're in, he'll be year 2 I think... A very good friend of mine.

Said. Mastering needed sorting. Needs to be longer, but is deffo on the way. You need to make the bottom end more punchy without maxing out your meters basically :P

after having another listen. You're going for the mainstream Pendulum are you? If so, stick some vocals which sound robotic onto the track, and you're sorted :)

reason has some built in sound for malstrom that i think is summat like electronik, but if you wiggle the modulation around, it sounds good.

Use radio voice. That's what pendulum do, I think?

We're arranging two trips this year. One to SSL Oxford ... and one to see Pendulum Mixing live, in their studio. Second one isn't confirmed yet. First one I know will go ahead :)

Use radio voice. That's what pendulum do, I think?

they use a lot of vocoding on some tracks, love pendulum vocals though

We're arranging two trips this year. One to SSL Oxford ... and one to see Pendulum Mixing live, in their studio. Second one isn't confirmed yet. First one I know will go ahead :)

i really wish my course was like yours!

cheers for getting that feedback, ill get to work on the track next time im in the studio..

i would recomend tweaking your eq on the drums especially the kick drum, try adding some more ambiance to the kick drum you want something to make it sound more full and in your face. i have always found that it will sound weak if the drums arent sounding good.

Was going to say. Do you use Dr. Rex drum machine for the drums you're using? If you do... copy a FATTER, bigger, better bass drum sample in. Dont bother trying to EQ it. Dr. Rex will just make it sound the same, unless you spend loads of time changing settings.

OR...

Use Logic 8 and Ultra Beat ;)

Was going to say. Do you use Dr. Rex drum machine for the drums you're using? If you do... copy a FATTER, bigger, better bass drum sample in. Dont bother trying to EQ it. Dr. Rex will just make it sound the same, unless you spend loads of time changing settings.

rex? who do you think i am?

i made everything from scratch except the drum samples, theyre samples programmed in with redrum.

Use Logic 8 and Ultra Beat ;)

tell me more

Edited by *PHIL*

You can load your own samples into Ultrabeat much like ESX24. But, unlike ESX24, you can not only Midi Trigger something, but you can also program it in a red drum type programming page. If you load Ultra Beat in logic with lets say "Studio Tight Kit" for instance. You have basic triggering at the bottom of the Ultrabeat Popup. Click "Full View" and suddenly you have a whole new world to work with. Also remember, some of the Logic drum kits are actually pretty snazzy this time over... unlike the Pop and Rock kits of Logic 7 :)

but you can do redrum style programming with the esx24..

I know you can. But you can do it ALOT easier in Ultra Beat, Control Velocities easier... and overall, just a nicer plugin to work with.

Try it out, I think you'll be pleasently surprised. Possibly Re-wire it into Reason if you like it :)

The synth and stuff sounds better. But the drums sound worse, the snare drum sound is horrifying. I think it would be more punchy to mix the drums louder. Also try to use some crash cymbals as I'm pretty sure the Pendulum drummer, however bad he is, will use them as opposed to just a hi-hat.

Change the bass drum to something fatter and louder.

Change the snare to something acceptable.

Add more crash.

Profit.

EDIT: I sound quite negative, believe me when I say that what you have already done is actually really, really good. I wouldn't be able to do anything close to it (apart from the drums). Good luck with your music course, seems like you have talent.

Edited by TheCircus