Light Disc Brakes

Shaun H

Should hopefully be gettin a bit of money together soon so looking at buying a new front disc brake to try out instead of the old BB7 which is a bit hefty compared to the some of the brakes out nowadays.

Dan Ko's '06 Louise carbon is pretty good but there is lighter stuff out. Question is, are any of them usable? Don't want to sacrifice function over weight, I like a bit of front wheel fun.

The avid juicy 7 or ultimate are both really nice. I find that the ultimates tend to have lots of flex in the caliper which means it might break after a while.

The magura lousie is really nice too or you could try one of the formula brakes, the ORO is awsome.

You could always go with the tried and true hope mono trials, not excatly light but u know itll work.

hope this helps

ian

my hope mono weighs 440g (inc hose, lever disc and bolts) and it works a treat, although i would like some thing lighter i think i would only really change it for a bb7 which works out at 330g for just the caliper and rotor so after adding lever and cable i can see it coming to over 440g.

the Formula ORO K24 comes in at 390g (inc hose lever and rotor) which isnt to bad.

not to keen on maguras, i had a julie and louise a year or so back and it was mega shit! how light are the magura discs now then?

I would'nt touch anything else other than Hope.

If you ever have any problems with hope parts they are a DIRECT (no distributer to call etc) phone call away and have an enviable reputation amongst most bike riders for customer service. I know of folks who have popped into the factroy/head office and they sort you out there and then with spares etc.....handy if they are local to you.

I have herd good things about them new Hayes Stroker Trial discs, might be too heavy for you?...

Sorry but i wouldnt even go near any hayes for my trials bike man.

Apart from having a reputation (and rightly deserved) for horrible lever desgin and awful brakes they also have the worst customer service i have ever seen.

I bout an elcamino brand new from them and when i opened the box the lever was cracked and the hose was split and they wouldnt even take the brake back.

I hate hayes and many others so, do NOT go hayes on any bike worth more then 15 dollars!!

i have used...

Formular - was light but wasnt all that to be honest!

Magura louise&julie - Didnt think much of them either

Hayes HFX9 - absoloute beast of a brake couldnt ask for more! only down side was it weighed a fair bit

Hope mini mono - great brake breat eprformance, great customer service, easily upgraded and many parts avalible and not to heavy neither! Seem to have a fit and forget sor of thing to them!