Oil + Pc = Work?

STC

yeh thats smart when you can buy a liquid cooling system for your pc which costs around £100 and get the the same benifits....

yeh this way is cheeper but its gona be a b**tard if the plastic gives way

phill

Edited by Phill_Monks

yeh thats smart when you can buy a liquid cooling system for your pc which costs around £100 and get the the same benifits....

yeh this way is cheeper but its gona be a b**tard if the plastic gives way

phill

yeah, I've also seen onther one where he builds a pc in a fish tank and fills it with water :o

Still works like :lol:

Apparently if you get molecular-grade water with no ions it then it won't conduct electricity, so you can use it - E.g. in that fish tank one. BUT the metal ions from the case and motherboard get into the water and allow it to conduct after a few days, so it's not exactly a permanent "solution". Arf.

That needs a radiator ideally.

Otherwise it will still heat up, albeit alot slower to be fair.

Yeah I was wondering about that. Although there's a pretty big surface area for heat exchange so it might not need it?

Yeah I was wondering about that. Although there's a pretty big surface area for heat exchange so it might not need it?

Plastic isn't an ideal thermal conductor, and the air over the top will be a little heated by that big ol' power supply.

The biggest advantage it has is the sheer volume of oil. That should hold a LOT of thermal energy.

Plastic isn't an ideal thermal conductor, and the air over the top will be a little heated by that big ol' power supply.

The biggest advantage it has is the sheer volume of oil. That should hold a LOT of thermal energy.

Yea lol

Put a lid on it with an exhaust so it goes out the window, flexi hose or something. That deals with the smell, and the computer will keep your room warm too once it heats up. Win :D

That's an interesting thought. Use the convection currents to pipe the hot oil around your radiator :P

That's going to be pretty inefficient, I can't see the heat difference being big enough to force oil through a pipe...