Driving Lessons

Boswell

Hence why its driving scooters at 16 ***, makes it a total doddle getting on the roads, because you hate everyone by the time you get in a car, so you dont mind taking your time or stalling.... never really stalled after the 1st hour though

Hence why its driving scooters at 16 ***, makes it a total doddle getting on the roads, because you hate everyone by the time you get in a car, so you dont mind taking your time or stalling.... never really stalled after the 1st hour though

It's all about clutch control :P something I still don't have, lol.

yeah i am too, had 9 hours, stalled 4 times 2 in road works and at traffic lights, they changed and i stalled it and the guy behind got angry, waited for them to come round again, stalled again :o the guy tried over taking me so i i just whacked it in gear and stomped abit haha. dave just kinda looked at me haha

It's all about clutch control :P something I still don't have, lol.

How can you not have it, just dont move your feet fast, as slow as is reasonable push on the loud pedal, and as slowly reasonable as possible lift the clutch. Genral rule in my car is build the revs up to about 2k, but just learn the car and learn to use the revva

for me driving is a piece of piss I was ready for my test after about 5 1 hour lessons, but to some it comes naturally and others it doesn't so don't be bothered if it takes you a long time.

I passed just the other day and I start doing my pass plus soon I've also spoken to the person who's going to put me through my advanced driving training so that will be a good laugh.

as for clutch control I have no idea what you mean, you hardly have to do any of it for your test, unless you class setting off and stopping clutch control? just don't ride the clutch on corners and things

the only clutch control you have to do is your hill start which is a pretty easy, just don't be scared to give it some gas and once you've found the bite keep your feet still.

My clio's clutch is about a month old. And is REALLY catchy. As soon as I lose concentration for more than a second, I end up stalling because it catches me off guard.

Compaire that to my dads clutch which is SO floppy it's BAD! lol.

brand new clutch are awesome :), sooo easy to use them, shifts are usually smoother too ! and the bite point is really low which is awesome !

Once you learn how to use the clutch, you'll probably never stall again !, of course there will be the usual moment where you don't even think about what you'r edoing and will stall ! but that only happened to me one time in the last 3 months.

Dont get to start driving ont roads till june :( But Iv been driving since I was 11 :) in the "under 17 car club" driven 2 minis, a BMW 316, vauxhal corsa, old school vw passat and new vw passat, also had a go in my dads series 2 landrover... got up to about 70 round castle combe race circuit (with a two way road layout with round about etc.. So Im not tooooo worried about starting driving. However at the club you got assesed and I always froze up and shat myself and my driving went up the shitter, so im pretty worried in particular about my test because I may well drive shite...

Don't be scared of giving it a bit of welly as well! Obviously not ragging the balls off it, but don't be scared of the engine making a noise. I was for some reason, when I was learning :)

You can get away with it when learning aswell :P just say that your foot slipped or you didnt know it was a 30 and thought it was a 40.

Got my test on the 15th of may... I'm actually quite nervous lol... my only problem is stupid little mistakes like hands crossing, and observations although I know there important lol.

Does the examiner want you to drive as slowly and over cautiously as my instructor does?

Got my test on the 15th of may... I'm actually quite nervous lol... my only problem is stupid little mistakes like hands crossing, and observations although I know there important lol.

Does the examiner want you to drive as slowly and over cautiously as my instructor does?

yes they do. the driving test is not about how you drive so much anymore, but its about your judgment on driving. so you could drive perfectly but be failed on wrong judgements, like doing around 30 on ALL 30 roads. if its a small road with cars parked either side, dont be afraid to do 20. its genral stuff like that. and do check those mirrors, one missed one and its a minor lol.

Edited by Joel

yes they do. the driving test is not about how you drive so much anymore, but its about your judgment on driving. so you could drive perfectly but be failed on wrong judgements, like doing around 30 on ALL 30 roads. if its a small road with cars parked either side, dont be afraid to do 20. its genral stuff like that. and do check those mirrors, one missed one and its a minor lol.

you can't be failed for going 30 in a 30 though unless it's dangerous but you can be failed for going 20 in a 30 so it's worth keeping a reasonable speed. especially if it's a straight piece of road, narrow or not just look right up it and if it's clear accelerate to 30.

you won't be failed for crossing your hands I was worried about that too. i think they fail you if you 'palm' the wheel though.

The hardest thing for me was the fine line between cautious and hesitant but sorted that out by just doing loads of practice.

There's no point in driving on your drive and stuff, I've been able to drive a car since i could see over the steering wheel (about 11-12). and I had to relearn everything. not because I was doing it wrong but because when your driving you should be thinking about everything in sequences it comes naturally to most people but if you've already been practicing on your drive then you won't remember to do simple observations before you go.

don't be nervous about your test you can always re sit it. just concentrate and be confident, look like you know what your doing, thats what the examiner is looking for, not someone who is scared of driving. mine lasted 38 mins and it felt like 10 the time flies by the hardest thing about my test was the questions he asked before hand.

'how do you test if your parking brake is working?' 'how do you clean the back wind screen from inside the car?' 'why do you never turn the wheel while the car is stationary?' I got them all right but I wasn't prepared for them.

Got my test in a month, will have done about 30 hours which is around average really. My instructor gave me a mock test last week and I only got 3 minors. Just takes concentration and planning/thinking ahead. I find it a lot better if,before you go out, you think about it, how you're going to drive, the order in which you take precautions when coming to roundabouts/junctions, like what gear you're going to need etc. Does help a lot.