Bottom Bracket Changing.

Dan x)

So heres the thing i have never changed a bb before,

and i need to change mine.

I need to take the driveside crankarm and freewheel off and fit it back on, alsofit the new bb in.

which tools do i need for this job.?

just a crank pull and bb tool?

Thanks!

Dan, =]

You will need a crank tool, BB tool to suit and copperslip :)

Dont forget that the BB shell is threaded right hand on the right and left hand on the left so make sure youre not trying to tighten it instead of undoing :D

As for getting the freewheel off I dunno as I have a king >_<

bb tool (dependant on what bb), 8mm allen key, crank extractor (dependant on weather square taper or isis bb) and getting the freewheel off depends on what freewheel it is.

list the make and model of the bits your unsure as to what tools would help (Y)

well im nnot sure if i hvae to get the free wheel off?

wont that just come off with the crank arm??

ijust want to change the bb.

anyways, its muscleman cranks with a tensile freewheel.

Thanks,

Dan, =]

right....you'll need an isis crank extractor/ sq. taper crank extractor ( delete as applicable ) , a bb tool, adjustable or usually 32mm spanner amd some copper grease.

The drive side bb shell is reverse threaded and the non-drive is standard thread.

thread the crank extractor into the crank until its home, then tighten the central bolt bit against the bb. this will pull the crank arm off. Now put the bb tool on thge drive side of the bb shell, use the spanner and turn it clockwise. Then repeat this procedure for the non-drive shell ( but turn anti-clockwise )

if you only have a sq taper crank extractor; a 5p put on top of the bb will allow it to work with isis cranks

The freewheel will come off with the r/h crank, just need the extractor, BB tool and copperslip :)

edit: oh and when putting the new BB in copperslip the threads to make sure it doesnt sieze in there.

Screw the BB in from the right hand side but dont tighten it, while the BB is still loose screw in the plastic cup from the left hand side, again dont screw it all the way in, just enough to guide the non-drive side of the BB in.

Tighten the BB from the right hand side (clockwise) and then screw the plastic cup in up to the stop (anticlockwise), you dont need much force on the plastic cup, its only there as a support and the actual tightening of the BB is done from the right hand side :)

Edited by forteh

Thanks a lot guys!

copperslip?

Copperslip is just copper grease, any motor shop should sell it for a couple of quid :)

Its an anti-sieze compound that means that you will be able to get the BB out in the future, if you cant get hold of any then a smear of normal grease is better than nothing. Not sure if you should copperslip the splines on isis, maybe someone can help on that, cant see how it would hurt though.