High Or Low Bb Recommendations

Alright well let me start out with this... I've never done anything trials related. Currently I ride MTB and have been riding for a few years. I just stumbled onto trials when watching some MTB vids. I've been lurking the forums for a few days and decided to register. I've never heard of trials until a few days ago so I don't know of anyone in the area nor does my LBS carry any trials parts.

So that said I'm going into trials blind with a minor MTB background. I've decided to go for a stock trials bike but am not sure about the BB height things I was reading. The only real info I found was that the higher bb makes the bike easier to flick around. I'm looking to ride street with lots of smooth transitions and down the line get into gaps, rails, etc.

I'm not really in a rush to build since I can do a lot of practice exercises on my MTB to work on balance and such. I don't really have much of a budget because I was expecting to pay what I do for my MTBs but it looks to be much cheaper to build a high end trials bike then an MTB. This is clearly more popular in the UK than the states so any state side web links to buy frames would be much appreciated.

-Jim

High BB= You can literaly roll up anything, much more stable on two wheels, not too stable on one wheel.

Low BB= manual forever, stable on the rear wheel.

I've heard the exact opposite than you!

To me, I like my bike which is +40... perfect! (Y)

Look at Neil Tunnicliffe, he rides low bb.

Look at Damon Watson, he rides high bb.

And there is no "That one is better than another"!

You shold try both bb's yourself and then you'll understand which suits you the most.

Look at Neil Tunnicliffe, he rides low bb.

Look at Damon Watson, he rides high bb.

And there is no "That one is better than another"!

You shold try both bb's yourself and then you'll understand which suits you the most.

Thanks after looking into it a bit I think I will go with the GU TP '08, now to look for the frame fork combo in the states.

High BB= You can literaly roll up anything, much more stable on two wheels, not too stable on one wheel.

Low BB= manual forever, stable on the rear wheel.

WRONG

High BB= stable on the rear wheel.

Low BB= much more stable on two wheels, not too stable on one wheel.

high bb bikes flick out easily for gaps, and can roll down things easier due to the larger gap, its easier to roll up things on a low bb bike

If you are going to be riding like you say:

I'm looking to ride street with lots of smooth transitions and down the line get into gaps, rails, etc.

...Then I wouldn't go for anything with a really high BB. High BB bikes tend to be very sidehop orientated really. For proper street like it sounds you're into, go for something a bit shorter (1060 max) with a lower BB (maybe +10 or whatever). Or 24"?

As for shops, there are a few trials shops in America. This is the only one I can think of off the top of my head though: http://www.webcyclery.com/home.php I know Tartybikes will ship to the US but I'd imagine with a weak dollar it might not be worth buying from this country.

WRONG

high bb bikes flick out easily for gaps, and can roll down things easier due to the larger gap, its easier to roll up things on a low bb bike

If you are going to be riding like you say:

...Then I wouldn't go for anything with a really high BB. High BB bikes tend to be very sidehop orientated really. For proper street like it sounds you're into, go for something a bit shorter (1060 max) with a lower BB (maybe +10 or whatever). Or 24"?

As for shops, there are a few trials shops in America. This is the only one I can think of off the top of my head though: http://www.webcyclery.com/home.php I know Tartybikes will ship to the US but I'd imagine with a weak dollar it might not be worth buying from this country.

Well then, with this info it looks like low bb is the way to go :P Thanks for that link to webcyclery. I was checking out Tarty but with George W ruining our dollar it's pretty much raped the options of buying overseas. The Echo Control(I haven't decided on that specific frame yet, just an example) comes out to be aprox $560 with the exchange rate. :sick: The same frame at WebCyclery and I also found midwestbiketrials.com they both have the frame for $400... much better.

If ur gonna be ridin street style stuff the go for a low bb. High bb bike are better for more comp style ridin so it would prob not suit you! Or better still go 24inch, thats what i ride and it the best thing iv ever done because you get a nice mix of street and trials feel! I have a reset but i've heard the the inspired frames are ace!

WRONG

Fair do's man. Gotta be wrong sometimes :)

So would you guys recommend an Echo Control over an Adamant A1?

Both frames do ride very nicely, but personally i would reccomend the control. I doubt anyone has a bad word to say about the way they ride :P

Matt

Control it is! Seems like the tried and true frame to get.

Are there down sides to running a 116mm stock frame? I hate the idea of having a chain tensioner on a single speed bike, just seems like unneeded extras. The Chris King 116mm rear hub looks sex.

Edited by NoValidTitle

What makes a 116 weaker? I doubt I could muck up a nice CK hub. I'm also not a heavy rider, I'm 5'10" and 115lbs so depending on how much weaker, I might not notice.

Well the frame selection doesn't matter too much because the Echo Control comes in 116mm.