Need Help From Onza Woodstock Owners (mostly)

kanenas

Hi, i am new in this forum and in trials asswell.

I want to built a bike (with used parts mostly) for riding to work and playing on the way. Nothing extreme, just something reasonable light and flickable to learn on. So i recently bought a second hand Onza Woodstock

frame, and i would like your help about a few things:

The Mech Hanger was not included. Can you direct me to a link, to get

it from? I can't find some data for the frame. My guess is

73mm-118mm bottom bracket and 1.1/8" (Internal???) Headset?

Do you happen to know the right numbers?

Any advice on the build and parts, crankset, brakes etc would be appreciated :S

If your looking for a mech hanger your best bet is to ring up tartybikes and ask If they have any mech hangers that'll fit an onza woodstock. The phone number is on this page. http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/

Im not sure about bb hight but I think the headset should be 11/8". Again I'd ring tarty and ask them. As for your build it depends on how much u've got to spend.

Edited by Headley

Why does everyone allways say ring tarty these days :S im sure hes got more importnat things to do then tell people what parts to get , asking around older members of the forum is a better idea and then adam can still get on with his work .

right you looking for a multi purpose bike so id sugest having a rear deralier and gear set so that its easier for you to get to work , i recomend either middleburn cranks or a 22 tooth screw on sprocket and bash made by tensile . the bar and stem are also very important , get a medium sized onza stem and some nice swept back riser bars so you have a nice feel and enough room and finaly the headset for that bike is internal .

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the BB would need to be a 68x118 or 68x122, 'cos all the Onza models around that time used 68mm wide BB shells. A generic Shimano UN-53 (If they still make them?) square taper one would probably work fine, but if you're after ISIS then anything reasonably cheap should be fine. If you're planning on riding it a little harder, maybe look into the SKF BBs on Tartybikes.

The headset is a regular internal headset, as you said. Cane Creek ones seem to work pretty well.

Tarty also sell the mech hanger you'll need, so again, just give them a call to place your order and they'll make sure you get the right one.

In terms of general parts, a decent BB (As mentioned previously) combined with some of the new Trialtech cranks would probably be a pretty affordable, good setup. For brakes, anything like an Avid SD7 V-brake or a set of Maguras would probably make sense too. Tarty have a few forks on sale for cheap at the moment (Or they did last time I looked). Wheels-wise, you could either hunt around for some cheap complete wheelsets, or you could just build up a pretty good wheelset by getting a Hope Pro2T rear hub and a cheap front hub, then just get some Onza/Alex rims to build them onto. They're pretty sturdy so if you're just starting out they'll be fine.

It all comes down to how much you're willing to spend, really. If you wait 'til you're made into a full member you can always lurk the Classifieds and see what comes up though, people seem to be throwing money away on new parts just to get their colour coding right which means there's a lot of good quality bits 'n' pieces for really cheap in there.

I want to thank you all, for the warm welcome and prompt answers! I will see to what you suggest carefully. This forum is very alive and helpfull, and you made me feel at home from the start.

I have never built a bike before and it seems quite difficult to me, with all the different parts that have to fit each other. BBs lengths, square taper, isis etc. Adding to the project the small budget, and the fact that here in greece, finding trials parts is sci-fi, it looks like a loooong time to completion. Anyway i have many questions that i will post as they come to my mind.

I emailed 3 trials shops at May 23, about the hanger and bb size, and ONLY Adam from tartybikes bothered to answer me and immediately too! Very helpfull, very informative and very friendly. Guess whom i will buy from... The problem is he wasn't 100% sure about the hanger and i have to identify visually if it matches one of his. Looks like a puzzle to me :S As for the internal headset he said that he doesn't carry one and maybe the head tube is very shallow, so the only people who sell a headset to fit are www.supercycles.co.uk who don't answer my email :(

I measured the BB width and is 73mm (Y) but what about the spline width? What size do i need in order to have a somewhat straight chainline with the rear derailleur? Single speed would be nice but i need to ride to work, and a dirt bike ratio like 36-16, i think is not suited for trials use.

So far i have the frame, forks, pedals and handlebar, photos and specs will follow and maybe a mini diary of the built..

Lastly i would like you to forgive me of any syntax or spelling errors, as english is not my native language.

Edited by kanenas

as above...BB is definitely 73mm shell (Y)

i used a 128mm axle, since I used a front freewheel, but I expect 118-122 would be fine with "normal" cranks...not entirely sure though!

headset is internal...

I have a mech hangar from my old frame...if you're still having trouble finding out what it looks like i can take a picture for you...i would send it..but greece is a fair way away!

lovely frame...here's what mine looked like (for inspiration):

p1010022py7.jpg

adam

Your best of ringing supercycles, or if your not confident with your english to ring email adam @ tarty again and ask him nicely if he could order you one from them. Or your could pm, joe@onza on here who works for onza and supercycles and may be able to help you out.

I would get a 122 or 128 bb as 118 could rub 128 definately will not as its the longest you can get. So if your thinking of running larger than 22tooth on the front i would get a 128 bb to play safe.

Lastly i would like you to forgive me of any syntax or spelling errors, as english is not my native language.

Haha, don't worry about that - you seem to write better English than most of the forum :giggle:

I measured the BB width and is 73mm (Y) but what about the spline width? What size do i need in order to have a somewhat straight chainline with the rear derailleur?

It doesn't really matter very much. Just get a wide-ish one to make sure that the cranks don't hit the chain stays. So 73x122 or something would be fine.

Thanks for the info, i'll get in contact with joe@onza.com.

No more questions for now, just reading and searching older forum posts.

Not time efficient for me, but saves you the trouble.

Why does everyone allways say ring tarty these days :S im sure hes got more importnat things to do then tell people what parts to get , asking around older members of the forum is a better idea and then adam can still get on with his work .

He's probably grateful people are directing people to tarty... It's his business. When you say "Get on with his work" - this is his work!

:P