Few Small Questions....

onzat-comp

Right i'll be moving to "26" soon... I've got a kot (short) frame and forks sat in my room just begging to be built and ridden... I'm just waiting for money to come from my old house and it will be built (Tarty expect a phone call) but i've got a few questions about this and that and i'd be glad if anybody can offer help/advice

question 1: what gearing -- I want a common gearing close to mod gearing most likely 16 tooth front I dont know what back tooth size.... also leanth cranks

question 2: what chain -- Iv'e herd a lot about KHE getting stiff links is it worth getting or will the stiff links bug me to death (I'm easyly annoyed) or shall I just get a KMC

question 3: pro 2 -- Reliable?? theres been a few topics lately with "pro 2 split" I'm going to get the 2007 trials one off tarty and i wondered will it blow up on me? ..... what are hope like for replacing ect; waiting times?, cost?, arquardness?

question 4 weight -- Iv'e worked the full build out to be about 10.5kg..... I don't want a weight weenie bike but i don't want to be hauling round a tank ither. so whats the avarage weight of a stock?

Thanks a bunch

Rick x

Edited by onzat-comp

18-15 is standard stock gearing, which is similar to mod, with 170mm cranks. I prefer 18-16 personally.

Average weight is around 11.5kgs I'd say.

Pro2s are so good. If you are one of the very very unlucky people that has a problem with one, just send it to hope and they'll sort it out for free as long as its within a year of you buying it, otherwise it costs a little bit, but hardly anything.

On another note, I also happen to have a surplus to my requirements Pro2 07 hub built onto a try-all rim, built by tarty with viz alloy nipples. All under 2 months old. If you want it PM me :)

Edit: Forgot the chain!! KMC. KHE will bug you to death.

Edited by Quackers!!

hey, we rode in sheff few weeks back, ont gu, and i run 18 16 and its pretty common, so anything around there, and my bike weighs 12kg and its not exactly hard to ride, around 10kg is light for a stock, also ull be fine with a pro 2, doubt ud ever break it.

Matx

1. 22:18 for life! 170mm middleburns preferably

2. Always KHE.... all this stiff links chat is rubbish, i've had one in about 6 months when I had just bought it. People say look after it and it will be fine but I don't [particularly look after mine, maybe oil every couple of months and its been perfect.

3. ProII's are the way to go, just got one myself. A few have snapped but Hope have awesome customer service and will sort you out in no time.

Phil

question 1: 16:14

question 2: KMC Kool fat one

question 3: Pro 2's are sweet, dont be put off by a couple breaking, think how many freewheels have blown up in comparison

question 4: my bike is fat, weighs over 11 atm, get light rims and tyres, will save you an awful lot

18 - 16 is good gearing, I got used to 18 - 17 which is a bit too light for rolling moves so get something heavier than that. My bike weighs about 10.8kg which is ok I'd say average is around 11.5kg. Get a KMC (thin one) they're sturdy and I've had both KHE and KMC, KMC has never given me any problems but my KHE snapped after a month maybe (I probably got a bad one to be honest, but i'm still biased) . Don't know about the proII lol, I have a ffw.

Edited by Dani.

Gearing: Ask yourself if there is any point in using such a small sprocket on the front. It doesn't have any advantages at all and theoretically puts more strain on the chain. If you want a small bashring, a 16T will cover an 18T sprocket easily. I'd go for 18:17 or 16:15 (a bit heavier) but then that's down to personal preference.

Chain: KMC's are ok, KHE are stronger. If you get annoyed by stiff links, get a KMC.

Weight: 10,5kg is light-ish. It's possible to build up a bike weighing about that which will be almost as strong as a 12kg Deng build. Just make sure you don't shed weight on things like the rear wheel.

Thanks for the quick replys everyone... So a pro 2 would be sound and don't get a KHE

I'm going to go for 18 - 16 gearing as it's Inbetween

ohh yeahh and would i need a mech hanger with a 74 kings tentioner or will it just bolt on

Cheers

Rick x

Thanks for the quick replys everyone... So a pro 2 would be sound and don't get a KHE

ohh yeahh and would i need a mech hanger with a 74 kings tentioner or will it just bolt on

Cheers

Rick x

Nah, you don't need a mech hanger for a 74 kings. It just sits between the axle & the inside of the frame. Got one on my adamant, it work great.

Thanks for the quick replys everyone... So a pro 2 would be sound and DO get a KHE

Cheers

Rick x

You'll thank me when you are left with teeth by the end of summer.

Phil