Dual Freewheels

tom aky

Hi has anyone ever tried this if so could it improve pedaling if you have high amount engagements on both freewheels, or would gear ration be to low.

Thanks Tom.

u mean 1 front 1 rear ?

if so it would be rubbish due to the front freewheel having to engage then the chain tension the the rear freewheel engage would be horrible

(N) Think about it, a solid, fixed wheel, has no engagment points because it doesnt move (effectivly it is always engaged, so there is zero movment before it locksup).... by running two freewheels you would have to wait for both to engage... thus making the engagment slower.

Kk i searched it and nothing came up of any use im not that knowledgeable im trying to figure things out as i go along. So being me it was probably gunna end up being terrible idea.:D Thanks again for information.

Edited by tom aky

reckon a king on the bac, and maybe a try-all freewheel on the frontwould be your best option for this

but still not as good as one fixed cog

Which is what the Try-All would effectively become as soon as you pedalled anyway...

I do actually have tensile freewheel on front and had bike for 4months and not been able to ride it and i got sprocket on back but im just getting sick of not been able go on bike cos had so many problems now i maxed out paypal i cant but crank. So i was just thinking i could use my old frame which im selling to have a mess around but then remembered id taken the freewheel of the rear and put sprocket on it.

just so I dont feel n00by:

you mean cos its shit and would break?

Nope.

Or because the king turns easier than the try all so it would spin and the try all would remain still,

And nope again. If you're pedalling at the cranks, it's always going to be the freewheel that engages first, simply because that's where the power is applied to first. As soon as you engage the freewheel, it'll then be the same as a fixed cog in that it'll then pull up the slack in the chain and move the chain round, thus engaging the King. Obviously, it'll still click 'n' shit when there's no power, but that's all I was getting at.

You'd still have to be a total dick to run a freewheel on the front and a non-fixed rear hub though...

Nope.

And nope again. If you're pedalling at the cranks, it's always going to be the freewheel that engages first, simply because that's where the power is applied to first. As soon as you engage the freewheel, it'll then be the same as a fixed cog in that it'll then pull up the slack in the chain and move the chain round, thus engaging the King. Obviously, it'll still click 'n' shit when there's no power, but that's all I was getting at.

You'd still have to be a total dick to run a freewheel on the front and a non-fixed rear hub though...

but take longer too engage......

Sure will.

2freesfr7.jpg

I think i remember the topic from where that pciture was from. Everyone first thought the front freewheel would engage first, then the rear, meaning you'd get a very shitty feel, but what actually happend is one of the freewheels being stiffer than the other made it effectivly a fixed cog, so it was ok.

If for some reason you had two freewheels you could simply put a bit of glue round the front one and it'd be fine. Wouldn't need to do a good job of it either as the pawls would hold it in place.

I have no idea what you mean by that.

When a freewheel is engaged, and your pedaling, say uphill. You freewheel is effectivly and temporarily a fixed cog.

If you had a freewheel on the rear with that tryall up front, the rear freewheel would 'freewheel' and the try-all would stay put. The only way the try-all freewheel would become a freewheel again would be if you pedaled backwards. But, as the try-all freewheel may not be used for a while it'd probably seeze up a bit and become a fixed cog over time anyway.

It's an interesting concept. Gotta talk about something now mythbusters have f**ked up the plane on a tredmill.

Edited by JT!

If you had 2 freewheels:

for example 72p front and same in back.

So 360/72=5 degrees between each engagement point. Lets take stock gearing 18/15=1.2 so 5/1.2=4.16 rear engagement "makes" 4.16 degrees between every engagement point. So if your pedal moves 5 degrees, front freewheel engages, then you move more 4.16 degrees, the rear freewheel engages. Between 2 engagement point will be 5+4.16=9.166 degrees.

72p freewheel on rear:

360/72=5 18/15=1.2 5/1.2=4.16 degrees moves crank before engagement.

72p freewheel on front:

360/72=5 degrees moves crank before engagement.

So with both freewheels you don't have really more engagement points. :)

If you had 2 freewheels:

for example 72p front and same in back.

So 360/72=5 degrees between each engagement point. Lets take stock gearing 18/15=1.2 so 5/1.2=4.16 rear engagement "makes" 4.16 degrees between every engagement point. So if your pedal moves 5 degrees, front freewheel engages, then you move more 4.16 degrees, the rear freewheel engages. Between 2 engagement point will be 5+4.16=9.166 degrees.

72p freewheel on rear:

360/72=5 18/15=1.2 5/1.2=4.16 degrees moves crank before engagement.

72p freewheel on front:

360/72=5 degrees moves crank before engagement.

So with both freewheels you don't have really more engagement points. :)

lol nice maths.:D