Burning Hands

thewoomaster

Hey dude's

When you been ridin for awhile does anyone get like burning on the inside of my hands, have dry skin from riding and there

just getting worse? Do you think it cos of the gloves i wear or the grips i have? Have try-all lock on grips and normal sixstoneone gloves.

Does anyone get this? :blink:

thanks

thewoo

Hey dude's

When you been ridin for awhile does anyone get like burning on the inside of my hands, have dry skin from riding and there

just getting worse? Do you think it cos of the gloves i wear or the grips i have? Have try-all lock on grips and normal sixstoneone gloves.

Does anyone get this? :blink:

thanks

thewoo

Moisturise ;)

Grind your callouses back smooth with a pumice stone (or wet and dry will do :D ) every so often and it should be ok. I find that sweat from my gloves keeps my hands moist, I always wash the sweat off when I finish riding though.

How well do your gloves fit? Im using oneil mx gloves (mx gloves are much harder wearing than cycling ones - they dont usually have lycra in between the fingers which is where all gloves go) and theyre a good tight fit, one of the most comfortable gloves Ive used over the last 10 years. If your gloves are too big and loose then they will be rubbing blisters all over.

Stop before your hands start to bleed - it takes them much longer to recover if you do too much damage...

All you need to do to tell whether someone rides trials is take a look at their hands - I have callouses under three fingers from holding the grip and a callous on my index fingers from the brake lever as well as noticeably thicker skin on the palm of my hand between the thumb and index finger and down from my little finger. Everyone I know who rides trials has this to a greater or lesser extent. I find that without gloves I can't reliably hold the bars after a while thanks to sweat making the grips slippery. With gloves I have no problem, though it's a good idea to take the gloves off if you stop riding, so your hands don't soften too much before you get on the bike again. I find that Azonic gloves hold together longer than most others.

I have callouses under three fingers from holding the grip and a callous on my index fingers from the brake lever as well as noticeably thicker skin on the palm of my hand between the thumb and index finger.

Mines exactly the same.

I don't wear gloves, they get on my nerves! Try riding with them off?

Talc.

That'd be hilarious - suspicious white marks all over your bike and clothes, the cops wondering what the white powder you're carrying around with you is... I'd suggest carrying the talc in a selection of small ziploc bags to complete the effect... :P

Given that while exercising I sweat like a pedophile in a Barney suit I'm guessing talc wouldn't be that effective in my case either...

Well might get some be hobes gloves see if they help, cant go riding without gloves find it burns more and less grip on bars.

Will try put some cream or something the miss has laying around. Talc now that would be a laugh as i got a black bike.

Thanks for replys dude's (Y)

Halfords foam grips are brilliant, admitedly the calouses on my hands aren't in a good condition (but thats mainly due to me biting them), but only timemy hands feel pain from riding is if I have had a really long day of riding (say from 8 til 6).

Only time I ever wear gloves is if my hands are cold.

Moisturise ;)

Grind your callouses back smooth with a pumice stone (or wet and dry will do :D ) every so often and it should be ok.

Don't do this. Moisturize, sure. Don't get rid of your calluses. They're there for a reason. If you have prolonged irritation to an area on your skin, a callus will form to help you protect the area. Basicly, you so you won't feel it as much. I have calluses on all my fingertips on my left hand from playing guitar and bass. When I first started, I played so much they hurt to play at all some days. The skin was soft and weak. Now I have a callus and I could probably poke a sewing needle into it and not feel it. Whatever you do, don't get rid of the calluses. If you didn't have them you'd be in a much bigger mess guarenteed.

If you have recently changed technique of your fingering on your bars then this makes them wreck for abit or maybe you need to adjust you finger position to a better one. How many fingers do you have on your handlebars. the gloves you are wearing shouldn't have much effect on the friction on your hands if there a good fit?

Nick

Don't do this. Moisturize, sure. Don't get rid of your calluses. They're there for a reason. If you have prolonged irritation to an area on your skin, a callus will form to help you protect the area. Basicly, you so you won't feel it as much. I have calluses on all my fingertips on my left hand from playing guitar and bass. When I first started, I played so much they hurt to play at all some days. The skin was soft and weak. Now I have a callus and I could probably poke a sewing needle into it and not feel it. Whatever you do, don't get rid of the calluses. If you didn't have them you'd be in a much bigger mess guarenteed.

I never said get rid of the callouses ;)

Grind them smooth so you have the callous area but not the thickness, if they get too thick then they pull away from the underlying flesh and you get blisters under the callous :(

As soon as mine start to break up on the surface and you can the layers of dead skin I smooth them off. It keeps them flexible enough to not hurt but still provide sufficient wear pad.

15 years of riding and never had a problem with callouses or blisters :)

edit: to grind my callouses off completely right now I would have to dig holes in my hands :D

Edited by forteh

it gets to a point where my calloses prevent me from clenching a fist properly, so every so often in the shower when they are soft, i take them off with my razor when the blades near the end of its life, they dont look as bad, and let me have full use of my hands again

i take them off with my razor when the blades near the end of its life, they dont look as bad, and let me have full use of my hands again

Hardcore stuff :)... I just run my angle grinder over the callouses after I'm done grinding my rims, I find the masonry disks best for the callouses at the base of my fingers, while the metal cutting disk gives the best finish on the braking finger callous.

No point in taking unnecessary risks though - make sure to wear appropriate eye protection while using the angle grinder :P...

Edited by psycholist

Given that while exercising I sweat like a pedophile in a Barney suit I'm guessing talc wouldn't be that effective in my case either...

I think you mean like a peedophile on a school bus, just gives that extra zing,

i have the new 661 airflows and there a bit more downhilly, they dont have ne funky stuff all over the palms just one piece of swade,

nothing to dig in and gives great feel plus alot of grip when sweaty and doesn't pinch like others with all the groovey rubber and plastic palm grips.