Brake Line.

Hi guys.

Well I've now decided to have a go at running my rear brake hose through my frame. I've figured how to put the hose into the frame although getting it out on the other end is a different story. Its an HS33 so it will need to come out of the frame in the top tube, whereas if I was running a disc I could bring it out at the end of the top rube. I remeber seeing it was done by Adam@tarty on his czar but that was with a disc

All help apreciated.

Liam.

Tie a small weight to a thin bit of string and dangle that down the hole till it comes out the end hole?

Once you get it through you could tie/clamp the magura line to it and just pull it through?

Must be an easier way though...

Hmmmm.... I cant really have it coming out right at the end of the tt as i have an echo team with the built in booster so ideally I need a way of gettting it out of the hole before the seattube joins. ;)

EDIT: Thanks for reply I'l have to just keep thinking i guess.

Edited by liamyc

Well I've just thought that at the hole in the end off the tt I could slide in a peice of plastic/wood in at an angle so that once the hose touches this it would turn it and push it out of the hole.

I'm sure with a bit off help it would come out. ;)

The way I got cables through tubes in my kit car was first drill the holes, preferably big enough

for the cable and a grommet. Placed some thread (longer than the tube) in the first hole and tie

the other end to to the cable/hose.

I used a hoover on the other hole to draw the thred through, then the thread to pull the cable

through.

Good luck with it.

Well I've just thought that at the hole in the end off the tt I could slide in a peice of plastic/wood in at an angle so that once the hose touches this it would turn it and push it out of the hole.

I'm sure with a bit off help it would come out. ;)

Suppose that might work but make sure that you have a piece of wood that is long lol the last thing that you want is a random piece of wood hanging around inside you frame lol.

i might try that also but i dnt know yet i will have to think about it.

Well I started to complete the job but when i took my brake off I found that the two left side threads in the frame had died. I succesfully saved one but the other was beyond return. So I am now stuck with a pretty much fu*ked frame with a few holes in it. :angry::(

Edited by liamyc

Do you mean the brake mounts have stripped?

If so, get them helicoiled. It should cost up to around a tenner for the whole lot, which is a great deal cheaper than a new frame!

If you can't get them coiled for some reason, there's usually the possibility of tapping out a size larger (so M6 for magura mounts) and using wider bolts

From what I can see it sais that you need a slight thread for the helicoil inster to work?.

But the problem is that I cant get it so do even a slight thread.

I was thinking bout getting a DOB but I've heard they snap easy?.

I'm only 14 and pretty short and light so it shoudl be ok with me and the free dob forks on offer from tarty helped me along. :P

Thanks for the help so far though guys.

You drill out what's there to a larger diameter, tap a new (larger) thread, and place an insert in

What's stopping you from tapping a larger (roughly M6) thread in the mount? Takes a fair bit of doing to damage them beyond repair

After sets of DOB forks literally falling apart, and then more recently seeing T33zr's DOB frame in half, I'm not too keen on them, however if you're a light rider you should be able to get away with it

Hmmmmmmmm im not sure.

ive tried using a JCB tap and die kit one side worked but i just couldnt get the other to work I'd screw the tap in and it would just push away the metal and be a bigger hole but still smooth with no threads?.

BTW thanks for helping with this and probably wasting your time cos im an idiot. :P :$

EDIT: well I'm fourteen and like 5 ft 2 ish maybe less and way like 6 1/2 7 stone and not a very good rider, i dont do big taps, hooks etc. so I SHOULD get away with it

Edited by liamyc

Not at all - when someone actually appreciates the help they're given and take it on board, people don't mind helping where they can :)

If you're not too sure yourself, speak to a parent/uncle/older brother etc and see if anyone might be able to help you

Failing that, an industrial estate or garage near you should be able to help you out, probably at a small charge (likely a couple of quid)

From the sounds of it, the mount is savable with a helicoil, so you should be in luck :)

Ok thanks I'll be having a word with dad once hes home.

Although i wouldn't mind a new frame. :-

When I first bought the frame off my friend the top left bolt was slightly ovalised. (N) but that was the one I managed to get working with an 8mm bolt so alot of drilling with my mounts to but i can just get new ones when I eventually get a new frame.

Thanks once again.