Bb7 Setup And Bedding In

forteh

Fitted a rear BB7 to the deema to see how what DD is like, just got a couple of quick questions.

Ive set it up by undoing the post mounts, tightening the dials till the disk is about 2/3rds across the slot and the disk is locked. Then tightened up the post mounts and backed off the inner dial till its just clear and the outer one to suit the bite point I want. When I pull the lever you can see the pads tweaking the disk, its more pronounced on the front of the caliper but Im guessing it shouldnt be doing this :unsure:

The disk itself seems to hold ok as long as Im not on the edge of something (like on pedal ups to an edge) where it just slips though :( Bite isnt as good as the maggie either but I was sort of expecting that :)

Is the lack of bite/hold most likely down to not being bedded in properly and/or setup?

The disk is a 185 avid with a jagwire gear outer and brake inner coupled with a deore lever. Currently I cant fit a 203 disk in the frame as it catches the chainstays, if I machine a few mm off the face of the disk adaptor for my king hub then I might be able to squeeze the 203 in there. Im only 12 stone and dont go particularly big so do I really need the bigger disk?

Fitted a rear BB7 to the deema to see how what DD is like, just got a couple of quick questions.

Ive set it up by undoing the post mounts, tightening the dials till the disk is about 2/3rds across the slot and the disk is locked. Then tightened up the post mounts and backed off the inner dial till its just clear and the outer one to suit the bite point I want. When I pull the lever you can see the pads tweaking the disk, its more pronounced on the front of the caliper but Im guessing it shouldnt be doing this :unsure:

The disk itself seems to hold ok as long as Im not on the edge of something (like on pedal ups to an edge) where it just slips though :( Bite isnt as good as the maggie either but I was sort of expecting that :)

Is the lack of bite/hold most likely down to not being bedded in properly and/or setup?

The disk is a 185 avid with a jagwire gear outer and brake inner coupled with a deore lever. Currently I cant fit a 203 disk in the frame as it catches the chainstays, if I machine a few mm off the face of the disk adaptor for my king hub then I might be able to squeeze the 203 in there. Im only 12 stone and dont go particularly big so do I really need the bigger disk?

Give the brake a few weeks to bed in, if the problem continues try to adjust the pads so that merely touching the lever pulls the brakes, if neither of these solve it you should get your mounts faced PROFESSIONALLY don't try to bodge it, this will just line up the mounts properly and allow you to get the pads within nanometers of the disk without rub.

Hope i've helped, doubt it though.

Davey.

i know of people who say that it can take months to get the full power of the brake working,at the moment my 203mm front bb7 on my simtra is working like a beast,put i have had it a fairwhile now,maybe 6months ;on my inspired my bb7 160mm is bedding in now,the first week or so lacked any bit or hold but recently it has been getting better and better.

so i say give it time and let it bed in.

When I pull the lever you can see the pads tweaking the disk, its more pronounced on the front of the caliper but Im guessing it shouldnt be doing this :unsure:

On a disk brake, you basically have a moving pad and a static pad. This "tweaking" that you speak of is likely caused by the static pad being too far away from the disk. You can use the pad adjusters to make sure that the static pad is very close or slightly touching the disk. This way when you pull the lever the "moving" pad won't have to push the disk very far across to make contact with the static pad.

As for bedding it in, search this forum a bit - there's some great advice. The technique I like best is riding around with the brake on for a bit, then splash some clean water on the disk. Other than that, you're correct in thinking that it'll just take some time before you start to notice any hold.

Cheers for that guys, I think the mounts are true enough for the BB7 as it has so much adjustability sideways to align the caliper to the rotor. To the best of my knowledge the brake has had about 4 hours use before me so Im not too concerned yet assuming that the pads arent fully bedded in.

From research on here it seems that short sharp stops are best for bedding the pads in, main problem is that because its a rear disk its pretty much impossible to do without locking the wheel and leaving bits of slow reezay maxxis on the concrete :(

The 203 mono trial on the front is awesome, hopefully the bb7 will start to get something like it soon. I do have a 203 disk and adaptor that I can fit if I get the disk adaptor machined down to clear the frame, I would have thought that the smaller disk would still bite just wouldnt hold as well as the bigger.

Try pouring boiling hot water over the entire caliper & disc - then ride around for a few minites while feathering the brake. Repeat it a few times if you can't feel any difference in proformance after the first time.

This allways sorts my BB7's out if they're not up to standards, but if nothing improves, you could try 'Organic pads'.

Give it some time man. Go ride around on it for a bit, pedal, stop, pedal, stop. It does get better over time. My hydro disks took at least a month or two before I'd say they were really responsive. They just seem to be getting better and better.