High Rear Wheel Hop

SkiLLz

Hi, i've just learned that i can side hop pretty good from track stand but i just can't get the hang of being on my rear wheel then hoping high! Could someone please let me know if there's some sort of trick to it.

Cheers

Edited by SkiLLz

ont find the height bit hard, i find the bit where you got to turn in mid air to ge wheel straight on wall, i normally hop to a side and tyre jsut slips straight off where i aint on it properly! lol, if anyone can give a good easy technique for this aswell i will be greatfull haha!

anyway i find that if you practise on a little wooden rail this help alot as you can dip the front wheel over the rail if needed as against a wall you cant dip it over, which i find hard, hope this helped lol

:$

don't aim straight, [so all your force goes in line with the front wheel] you wanna be aiming away from your handlebars, watch how the huge riders gap, it's a similar thing, b*****d to explain in words?

Do i have to punch a little bit to get that extra bit of power? When i do it without a punch it looks like a f**k up lol

i wouldn't say punching would help sidehoping 1 handed might be quite hard.

Who cares if it looks like a f**k up ? It's not how it looks your technique will improve as you practice so ye practice practice practice

My difficulty is levelling the bike in the air to get the back wheel to the same height as the front. I find that at the peak of a sidehop my front wheel is easily a foot higher than the back - that's potentially a foot more sidehop if I get the bike level...

Do you tend to sidehop to your foot if you fail? A number of my friend's have this habbit and find it pretty hard to get out of even though it looks like they'd make it easy if they stayed on the pedals.. Also what are you riding mod/stock and sidehop which way to mech (if on stock) or not?

I always found sidehops really easy no matter how hard or high the wall was to do mainly because I didn't really have a fear on them, if you sidehop up and concetrate really hard on getting your front wheel onto the wall then you can just learn from there, if you miss your back wheel it doesn't really matter you just go to crank or your chainstay lightly (hopefully) that way you should be able to be calmer and more composed on the back wheel when needing to pre-load or find your perfect balance point.

Here's a clip of me some 3 or so years ago but it's a nice sidehop clip I think:

Youtube Video -> Original Video

Hope that helps,

Olly.