Front Hub: Hope Mono Vs. Hope Pro3

Dekes

I'm looking into a front hope hub to match my rear silver pro2. Which one is best, taking durability, availability of spare parts such as bearings and so on in account?

Edited by Dekes

Mono is now discontinued as far as I'm aware, although being made by Hope I'd imagine that in the offchance that you have a problem, they'd be more than happy to help you out

I'm running a mono, had one before I went disc (I'm now on vee) and would definitely recommend them

Last forever, great bearings, lightweight (lighter than the Pro III I believe) and looks sweet (again, better than the newer hub IMO) ;)

Cheap as chips for one of the world's best non-disc hubs

Saying that, the Pro III is pretty much an evolution of the Mono, so shouldn't be much different really :)

The pro3 is the upgraded version of the mono, so I guess any problems from mono will be ironed out making it right ? Id go with the Pro 3 !

Its not an upgrade just a replacement i believe. DOnt thin the mono is made now so when stock run out will no longer be available. They should both be good and spares are available just as easy for both of them. So just go with which ever you fancy as there both decent hubs.

I just heared the pro3 bearings are the same size as the pro2 bearings whereas the mono bearings look smaller in the pic I found on CRC.

Does anyone have experience with CRC wheelbuilding? Are they good at it?

CRC wheelbuilds are pretty good, though have you considered building it yourself?

I seriously think it's something anyone who's into their riding should try at least once

If you can true a wheel, you can build one!

Yeah but i don't have a truing stand. I'm thinking of getting one, and a dish gauge. It's pretty essential for accurate wheelbuilds unless maybe you have tons of experience.

Use your forks as a truing stand for front wheels, and your frame for rear wheels :)

After lacing and tensioning the spokes, I just wack a maggie/vee on the frame/forks (and set the brake up so its in the middle) then spin the wheel and when the rim touches a brake pad - just true it to the middle of the two pads :)

It's how I build all my wheels! Easy.

Yep, no tools required other than a spoke key (and a screwdriver helps speed initial nipplage up a touch...)

There are dozens of great guides online, check OBM's in the wiki perhaps. Follow one of those and you can't go far wrong :)

If you plan on regularly building lots of high precision wheels the correct kit may be a little help, but it's really not necessary on the most part

Once you've done one or two you'll really start to wonder why you'd so readily have payed £10-15 for someone else to do it!

I just heared the pro3 bearings are the same size as the pro2 bearings whereas the mono bearings look smaller in the pic I found on CRC.

Does anyone have experience with CRC wheelbuilding? Are they good at it?

as mentioned, the mono has been discontinued but replaced with the pro 3 which features stainless steel bearings made exclusively for hope as well, pretty much just an evolution of the mono front,

can't go wrong with either.

have a go at wheel building yourself! everyone should try it at least once!

ash

should I try it first with an old wheel or immediately start with that hope pro3 wheel?

upto you really with how confident you feel, to be honest even if you do mess the build up, theres nothing stopping you starting it again and its not as though you would damage the parts

ash