How To Create The Finish Alu Brushed Surface?

N Roach

Hey,

I have stripped down a frame to raw metal. I am thinking of keeping it this way. I would like to know how to create the surface effect that frames such as echo lite, team and control have. It's like a silver brushed effect. I am guessing I would need some type of buffing disk to create the lines and then just put a laquer on top...?

Im also look for a topic, where someone has stripped down a 20" czar and smoothed the welds off etc made it 1.7kg. Would be most appreciated if someone could find it. I have looked and looked!

Any help would be great.

Nathan :)

Edited by Nathan Coward

Is this the czar you mentioned http://kep.tar.hu/cphun/50550318#2

Also as said wire wool and i used some t-cut (usualy used for removing light scratches etc) it brings off all and i mean all the dirt and grime (you will see the results on the cloth you use) then white spirit to take off bits of the t-cut should look nice and shiney. (Y)

i wouldnt of thought smoothing the welds out is a good idea.

Agreed. Theres certain areas of a frame that you really dont want to skimp on, and the welds that hold it all together would be one of those areas. The weight you're going to save compared to how incredibly weak your risking making your frame, is not worth it.

i wouldnt of thought smoothing the welds out is a good idea.

Works great for Klein...

There is an attachment for drills that is a circular disc made of wires. Haven't tried it on a frame, but worked amazingly on a booster.

I think that's a bit savage, tends to rip through the alloy too much.

I would suggest some oil and fine/medium wire wool (Y)

You wont get a brushed Alloy look from Polishing alone.

Im not to sure on how they achive it, but polishing would only give you a shiney look.

Also Dont use t-cut, Use Brasso, will give a much better result.

If you really want to have a brushed look Lidls are selling Brushed Alloy Sticker sheets for £4.99

Im pretty sure smoothing off the welds isnt going to effect the strength that much, seeing as its purposely done in the engineering trade.

hmm never heard that one before and i work for one of the worlds largest engineering companies, we certainly don't 'smooth' off welds

Fair enough then. Thinking about it the things Im thinking of that have smoothed off welds dont really have and force put through them.

hmm never heard that one before and i work for one of the worlds largest engineering companies, we certainly don't 'smooth' off welds

you sure about that? welds have to be smoothed on certain things. it's not exactly a common practice though and it's usually only there because it looks good not because it does anything.

From my building code experience, the strength in welding Alu comes from the material you add in during the welding....but that not to say there isn't a point which you pass and have excess.

As for brushing....what I've done, polish it, then take scotchbrite pad (industrial strengt?heavy duty works best.) and stroke in one direction!! this is where you will make of brake the final look.

As long as you take the time to NOT go backward and forward, just using repetitive one direction strokes you will get a nice strait grain effect.

Im pretty sure that smoothing out welds would be a good idea, but it does depend on the amount of weld material used.

Cannondale and klien perform oversized welds and smooth them out, so they have a similar amount of material to a normal arc weld. Having such a smooth weld will minimise any points of high stress brought on by the pattern from the welding.

To be fair, both styles will have similar strength, its all about the annealing/heat treatment process afterwards.

Edited by strelly

I am almost certain that you need to get a stiff copper brush, and "BRUSH" it to get the "BRUSHED" look. Hence the name. Haven't done it to a bike, but did it to an intake once-came out great.

Definitely one direction, not back and forth.

Edited by ti-mig-guy