Making A Frame Lighter

hi there, i want to know were i could drill some holes in my echo team frame because its to heavy.

ive allredy drilled a couple of holes in the brake booster on each side of the "E".

is there anywhere else that i could drill, without straining the frame and weakening it?

cheers ginger allen (Y)

Yea, don't go drilling your frame out. Some pros do.... but then again they are sponsored and if they break there bike its no big deal. Like other people have already said, if you really want to reduce the total weight of your bike you should just invest in some lighter parts.

Theres no point in drilling the frame, you save very little weight really. The best way to loose weight is to change parts you will loose alot more weight that way and will start to feel the difference. People who are drilling and cutting there frame usually have the lightest spec and the frame is just to loose a few extra grams to get it real light.

Have a search round for the topic about Tarty Adam's Czar, he did pretty much everything that's possible to that frame and saved about 300g I seem to remember.

You could just get a lighter frame, teams are fat.

hi,

If i were you i wud leave the frame drilling idea alone, i've heard about people doing it and it does seem like a bad idea. i wud do as others have already said and buy lighter parts before doing something that could weaken your frame !!

Adam (Y)

The whole point is that you remove excess material, so you wouldn't be weakening your frame.

If you do everything that is possible to it, then you can save around 250g. If you buy new forks you could probably save that, if you bought new wheels you could save a lot more.

What spec have you got anyway?

drilling your frame is stupid cause whats the point in spending all that money if your going to drill the hell out of it just do what evry else has said lighter parts the best way for lightness

drilling doesnt do that much it isnt exactly like if you put 1 hole in your frame its going to be light as hell

jarvis B)

drilling your frame is stupid cause whats the point in spending all that money if your going to drill the hell out of it just do what evry else has said lighter parts the best way for lightness

drilling doesnt do that much it isnt exactly like if you put 1 hole in your frame its going to be light as hell

jarvis B)

People who do it properly and do it well can make a noticable difference to the feel of the bike,

But yeah, i still don't agree with it if you're just a street basher, comp riding is different.

Edited by BenJohn-Hynes

By far the most noticable place to save weight in regards to the handling of a bike is on the wheels. A 100g weight saving on your rear rim is going to do so much more for you than making your bike look like it's been attacked by the Arnie of all wood-worms. :turned:

Dan.

The whole point is that you remove excess material, so you wouldn't be weakening your frame.

If you do everything that is possible to it, then you can save around 250g. If you buy new forks you could probably save that, if you bought new wheels you could save a lot more.

What spec have you got anyway?

to be honest it was a s*** topic. its the standard spexk off tarty but now with echo green rear pads and sanded down echo tough bars and new kmc chain.