Saving Weight

stunt man t

ive never really comprimised on strength instead of weight ive kind of met it half way, rims ive got try all, forks echo lites etc. but for saving weight i would do little stuff like seleotape rim tape, foam grips, cutting tredss off tyres, v-p pedals, (you got a booster?) if so drill it, bashplate drill it or better still take it off and chop of the mounts (remember to do it neatly though mate :) )and thats all i ever do unless i get to a very high level in comp with a very generous sponser ;)

thats all ill ever do unless i get to a very high level in comp with a very generous sponser ;)

surely 'Scruffy Jumps' could sort you out with something - lol!

Me? I don't really save weight :P I gain it more than anything!

I went form Alu bars to Cro-moly - weight adding propeties right there :lol:

I take it you dont want to change parts just modify what you have. Your better off modifying yourself instead of your bike.

So what you should do is stop being bored and ride your bike, just try it. push your limits, try something new, scare yourself now and again with high thin lines(thats what Martyn Ashton does)

Try going death grip, switch foot, mix up a line abit with a spin.....all im saying is stop wasting your time worrying about the weight of your bike and just enjoy yourself.

With the amount of rediculous replies your getting does it not make you think, oh wait a minute Im being rediculous myself???

People telling you to ride naked to save weight? Come on man get out there!!!

Edited by Ross McArthur

Try going death grip

?

Swapping the levers round?

Lol, i want to see your tyre now.

Forget about drilling your frame, I reckon. Save that for when you can afford to replace stuff when it breaks. I know I couldn't.

Edited by Revolver

People telling you to ride naked to save weight? Come on man get out there!!!

Looks like incitement to rock out with your cock out if ever I heard some :P...

Death grip is where you go for stuff without covering the brakes - it concentrates the mind wonderfully...

Learning to sidehop in the opposite direction to my usual and doing pigeons onto narrow stuff have been obsessing me lately :)...

Looks like incitement to rock out with your cock out if ever I heard some :P...

Death grip is where you go for stuff without covering the brakes - it concentrates the mind wonderfully...

Learning to sidehop in the opposite direction to my usual and doing pigeons onto narrow stuff have been obsessing me lately :)...

good man mixing it up a bit is what I like to hear.

just leave the bike alone or youll just end up ruining it,

learning on a heavyish bike is always good then when you do get good you can really feel it when you get a light bike, idealy you just want to buy light stuff instead of drilling your bike i dont think it'll make as much diffrence as you expect!

You're better off buying a light part than modding a heavy part. The light part was manufactured to be like that, I wouldn't modify a heavy part unless you Know where the stress areas are.

I got my mod down to 8.5kg's with no modding other than cutting tyre tread. You just gotta think about the parts you're buying, find the comprimise between weight and strength. E.g, front wheels don't take much stress/bashing, so you could get something like a dob rim on a viz/koxx/neon hub maybe.

You're better off buying a light part than modding a heavy part. The light part was manufactured to be like that, I wouldn't modify a heavy part unless you Know where the stress areas are.

I got my mod down to 8.5kg's with no modding other than cutting tyre tread. You just gotta think about the parts you're buying, find the comprimise between weight and strength. E.g, front wheels don't take much stress/bashing, so you could get something like a dob rim on a viz/koxx/neon hub maybe.

Exactly. Mine's at about 8.3, definitely sub 8.5, and although I cut the tyre treads and have cut my try-all rim to single wall, that has saved about 200g max. I could have saved that same weight with a lighter rear rim (dob) and different tyres (monty/try-all). With the new lighter try-all stuff coming out I reckon you could get sub 8.5 easy with no modding, that really is as light as you need to go.

I know what you could do Toby, Get Better! lol

Haa

but he's right, skill beats saving weight.

Think about how good ryan leech is on his norco, and yet he has to chuck suspension forks around!

Also, I was able to do surprisingly similar stuff on my identiti to that on my trials bike, and that's geared, seated and suspended.

Edited by Revolver