Making Rims Single Walled...

Jason222

I cut all the way round it on both sides with a hacksaw, so you end up with the inner wall as a ring around the rim, then you could probably just snip it off with a pair of tin snips, or just use the hacksaw, then tidy it up with an angle grinder.

surley you should have picked a lighter rim to begin with if you were thinking of saving a bit of weight? or did this sudden vibe for weight losing come now... ...... and to be honest im all up for weight losing etc but i dont think what everyone understands is by just putting on some foam grips or something like that aint guna do jack shit, you need to do the whole bike i reacon. just my personal opinion.

sad sad lad

surley you should have picked a lighter rim to begin with if you were thinking of saving a bit of weight? or did this sudden vibe for weight losing come now... ...... and to be honest im all up for weight losing etc but i dont think what everyone understands is by just putting on some foam grips or something like that aint guna do jack shit, you need to do the whole bike i reacon. just my personal opinion.

If you don't care don't f**king comment. Its getting on my tits now. instead of helping the lad people just make snide comments. If you don't care for weight saving don't look in weight saving threads.

Anyway I cut the inner wall out of a rim by putting it in a vice and cutting from hole to hole with a cutting disc on a grinder. Tthe rim got really hot and it is pretty dangerous so take your time and be careful.

If you don't care don't f**king comment. Its getting on my tits now. instead of helping the lad people just make snide comments. If you don't care for weight saving don't look in weight saving threads.

Werd.

Double-walled rims for the front aren't entirely necessary, unless you're a serious basher. Senor Rodriguez runs a 28h Monty front rim, and I'm now starting to really believe the benefits of weight saving. It's subtle, but if done in the right parts here and there, it makes the bike feel a pleasure to ride. Nothing worse than to have a heavy sluggish feeling bike which feels like a fight on the backwheel.

Maybe for 26" it's slightly different, but for mod at least, 28h with single wall is really light and at not so great a strength penalty. If it makes the bike feel more fun to ride, why not?

Made my rear rim single wall about 3/4 months ago and its still fine :) Used an angle grinder and just cut it out before the wheel was built. If you do it when its built the spokes will be very tight and it could destroy your rim/wheelbuild. I would recommend loosening the spokes before you do it (Y)

Oh I saved about 90g by the way.

i did my one abit before stan and have just replaced it, with another single wall one, is well worth it for beeing able to take the tyre off so easily :P

Your another smootho though :P.....

some of us here cannot bend their legs properly so cannot absorb the bumps*

*my excuse and im stickin to it

perhaps i worded that wrong, i was trying to say that the weight saved off the back rim wouldnt be noticable in riding in any way. i wouldnt do it to a rear rim mind unless your stupidly smooth. i would do it to my front but try alls are only single wall :)

Ozzy, this is the first time when I really don't agree with you at all. 90g off the rear wheel is a big difference, and if the likes of Stan Shaw have done it say it lasts for them then it should befine for any ordinary rider, unless your a harsh TGS fellow.

Ozzy, this is the first time when I really don't agree with you at all. 90g off the rear wheel is a big difference, and if the likes of Stan Shaw have done it say it lasts for them then it should befine for any ordinary rider, unless your a harsh TGS fellow.

it may be big but is it big enough to notice ? i know this sounds stupid but i would only weaken one of my parts to gain a big and noticable advantage. im not trying to argue btw im genuinley interested :).

Well, I'll probably try it on one of the dead echo rims I have first, then do it to the real wheel.

It's actually my brother's wheels, he's got echo 07 rims front and rear, and they honestly have way too much material on them. The old dead one I have weighs 880 g with 3 grinds!

...so a light rim that grinds well would be beautiful.

Hey guys..... was wondering whether it is advisable to make my rear try-all rim 20" single walled? i am going to square the holes too, do you think this will hold up?

BTW for those who dont know me im not a basher

cheers

Tom

I've done mine, I know I'm hardly a big rider but I reckon it's worth it. Saved about 72g and that was with a rushed job, did it with tin snips then filed it smooth with the wheel still built up. I would imagine taking the wheel apart then doing it with a cutting disc on an angle grinder would make it much easier.

BTW for those who dont know me im not a basher

cheers

Tom

Now theres an understatment i wouldnt worry tom you could probs get away with taking a good 15 spokes out with out too much worry of damaging your rim the way you ride lol.

Edited by jackbalman