29" Trials

the trials mop

Add 1.5" to the chainstay length of a trials frame and unless you're really tall it'll be a complete pig to get on the back wheel... To counter this the handlebars could be brought further backwards, but that would lead to loads of overlap (With a normal wheelbase it's already tight and with 29" wheels there will be more anyway) between your toes and the front wheel... 26" wheels are about as big as you can go for trials unless you're very tall.

29ers are a solution to a problem, namely that the man made trails built by the forestry people are so boring and unchallenging that a modern bike with suspension is complete overkill for most of them, leading to loads of people using rigid singlespeed 29" wheeled bikes on them in order to bring some bit of technical challenge back to the trails - I know this because the best day I've had on official MTB trails was when I took my 19 year old Specialized rigid with canti brakes out :)... Trials has no such issues with becoming less technically challenging, so no justification for 29ers...

Edited by psycholist