I've Got A Bit Of An Ebay Issue...

harmertrials

Got a receipt ? And do you genuinely believe it hasn't arrived or do you think he's trying to con you ?

Might be an idea to get in touch with E-bay.

Might of been better in chit-chat aswell ;)

Exactly that's the problem. And yeah I do but it doesn't list the item. It just says how much it costs (no postal address etc).

I've considered that but what could ebay actually do?

Nothing.

Either it's not arrived, and he already knew that's a risk you run - buying on the internet - or, it has arrived, and he's trying to con you.

You do nothing.

It's his problem.

You've sent it - can you not get a picture of the reciept? Or is that why it's a bad thing that you only sent it first class?

Nothing.

Either it's not arrived, and he already knew that's a risk you run - buying on the internet - or, it has arrived, and he's trying to con you.

You do nothing.

It's his problem.

You've sent it - can you not get a picture of the reciept? Or is that why it's a bad thing that you only sent it first class?

That's why it's a bad thing... I didn't post recorded. I don't have any money from him, although in 6 days paypal will automatically release the money into my account.

But... My problem is; do I keep the money? Or do I send it back to him and loose out on a wheel?

you've posted the wheel you've got a receipt and soon you'll have the money, unfortunately as the receipt doesn't say wheel or whatever it might be hard to prove hat the receipt is actually from this, but if he hasn't genuinely received the wheel i wouldn't consider it as your fault at all unless he specifically asked for 1st class recorded.

But at the end of the day you've posted the wheel off and you should be entitled to the money and the worst that could happen is you get a little negative feedback.

sorry if it doesn't make sense i'm tired...

you've posted the wheel you've got a receipt and soon you'll have the money, unfortunately as the receipt doesn't say wheel or whatever it might be hard to prove hat the receipt is actually from this, but if he hasn't genuinely received the wheel i wouldn't consider it as your fault at all unless he specifically asked for 1st class recorded.

But at the end of the day you've posted the wheel off and you should be entitled to the money and the worst that could happen is you get a little negative feedback.

sorry if it doesn't make sense i'm tired...

well surely he could sue?

or take other legal action?

i have the same problem... sent some Dainese leathers off and for the first time in ages forgot to do recorded. Now he is telling me it hasn't arrived. The post office will not consider it lostt until 15 days after posting... then you have to get a form from them and do a claim. If it was 30 quid or less you should be ok but anything over is not covered under first class standard insurence.

When you list your item on e bay you are asked which postal service you will provide for the buyer. If you listed first class post as your postal method then he excepts the terms and conditions of first class when he bids (unless you agree a different method after the auction is finished).

A. Do not contact him and try and sort it out as it always gets ugly.

B. Contact E bay and let them sort it out.

This is not your problem. :D

I've always been under the impression that anything that won't fit through a letter box has to be signed for, regardless of first class or standard, as this would be the only way to ensure that the package had been delivered and not just left on the doorstep and stolen. If this is the case the a call to Royal Mail with your receipt in hand should sort it.

If he opens a dispute, you can prove you sent the wheel with the receipt, so you'll be fine. Don't send the money back, at all. How much feedback has the other guy got?

but the receipt says nothing about a wheel or any postal address you burke. If I were you jack I'd wait it out for 6 days, but in the meantime I'd tell him that your sorting it out with the post office an make a story up. Once the money is released into your account, tell him to go shag a cactus.

Just keep him sweet till the money is in your account!

Yeah, like has been said even if you fill out all the royal mail paperwork you're still only going to get £32 (maybe £34 i think it is now) back.

Me personally, i'd tell the guy to wait one more week and then if it still hasn't arrived i would give him his money back, but then again i'd never be in that situation as i always insure my item properly and when you insure an item (even if it's just recored) they never get 'lost'.

But that's what i'd do, because you have the receipt i think you're probably ok, and will probably end up keeping the money.

A link to the actual item would really help. (Y)

Take it from me, unless there is a signature from the guy to prove he received it, you will lose the money. The Paypal system is fully stacked always in favour of the buyer. Believe me, we have had several issues, and it doesn't matter what you have in the way of paperwork, however big or small the item, if they say they didn't receive it and there is no proof of delivery (a signature by the buyer or his family is all they will accept), you lose. Your only recourse is a claim with the Post Office for up to the value of 100 first class stamps (£32 currently) and even there you will have to have a certificate of posting and show a receipt for the goods to prove their value. Otherwise you get the value of 6 1st class stamps.(£1.92).

Always bear in mind as well that recorded delivery items DO get lost occasionally and as the system works retrospectively, ie Proof of delivery is only logged after the item is delivered and signed for, a lost item in Recorded Delivery is really only the same as a first class item. It is just less likely to get lost in the first instant, and more or less closes the options for a crooked recipient. The only "safe" methods are Royal Mail Special Del., Parcel Force 24/48 or other signature only couriers. Compensation levels always vary as well so make sure your item is covered to adequate value.

Mike, what about though, if something has sold from ebay with various postage and insurance offers from the seller, but the buyer chooses the cheapest option of say for example, First Class, uninsured? I'm suprised actually, that they would send an item of that size, standard first class.

Would that then be down to the buyer accepting responsibility that there is a chance it could get lost? I honestly don't know how it would work. I've always sent items recorded with insurance if its over a certain value, but I was under the impression, that if that buyer specificailly chooses a cheaper option, they accept responsibility?

Difficult one I think. I would definitely get in contact with him, and not ignore him or be rude. Rudeness never gets you anywhere and just gets peoples backs up and will give him more of a reason to demand a refund. Ask him to be patient for a while, and go to your posty and ask about where you stand and what will happen. If he asks for a refund, I think you are going to have to accept that. If it was the other way round, you'd be feeling exactly the same, and if he actually is one of those few b*****d buyers, unfortunately the trust is always with the buyers and the sellers are always at fault.

From now on, always send things recorded delivery and if its of a reasonable value, insure it. It doesnt cost that much more, and its a lot better to spend a few extra quid than loose out on £100.

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

I've been in contact with him ever since I posted the wheel.

I'm going to go into the post office tomorrow afternoon and talk to them about it. Maybe they can track it from the reciept number, I really don't know.

But it seems as though it's got 'lost' in the post.

I'm pretty sure that's not the same guy.

Just a heads up though, a receipt last time i looked isn't accepted on Paypal. You need a tracking number of some sort even though recorded delivery isn't tracked.

Royal mail will give £36 compensation for the loss but it'll take a few weeks. There also isn't any way of tracking it.

I made the same mistake on Ebay, but didn't really loose out in the end (long story), yet the guy was a scammer and Paypal were dicks.

Mike, what about though, if something has sold from ebay with various postage and insurance offers from the seller, but the buyer chooses the cheapest option of say for example, First Class, uninsured? I'm suprised actually, that they would send an item of that size, standard first class.

If you don't give them the option then there's no way that a crooked buyer could abuse the system. Sending stuff by recorded delivery is to protect YOU (the seller) - it doesn't make it get there any faster, and it shouldn't technically make it more likely to arrive either, and it doesn't affect the compensation you can get when it's lost. But you can get proof that it's arrived to cover your back.

As it stands you have no rights here at all, the only thing you can hope is that it turns up, in which case everyone's happy. If you are totally convinced that the buyer is telling lies, you could consider not refunding the money, but then you'll end up in lots of trouble with paypal/ebay. You really don't have an option, you're going to have to cough up the refund.

So the moral of the story is to always use recorded post.