Best Disc Brake

lankeman

i love my Louise FR (Performance of course) + Shimano Deore/XT Lever + 180mm Windcutter disc

there is no lever which is more ergonomic.

little brake history from a friend of mine:

Louise FR 203mm => bad

Hope Trial 06' 180mm => worst brake ever

Avid Juicy Seven (recently) => better than the Hope, but still very weak

i guess there is no ultimative disc out there (if you dont want something with more than 2 pistons)

Don't quite know how you can say that the Hope Mono Trial was the worst brake ever, I much prefer mine to my Louise FR, though they're both good brakes!

My Louise FR was 180mm, and my Hope Mono Trial is 160mm, but I found the Hope has a lot better hold.

Edited by Mark King

It seems a lot of people have different oppinions on most brakes out there. Some people say brake X is rubbish, while other people say its the best brake they've ever had.

I think a lot of it is down to the way the brake is treated, set up and looked after ect. People are all too quick to jump onto the "think brake is rubbish" bandwagon, despite not looking after their brake and taking time with it.

Ive had a lot of discs in my time, including Magura Marta, Hope Mono Mini, Hope Mono Trial, Avid Juicy 3/5/7/, BB7, the list goes on... and I cant say I've ever had any real problems with any of them not working. The Marta and the Juicy 7 leaked at one point, but a quick service solved that.

I think really it all depends on your budget. Get what you can afford or want to spend, and make sure you take the time to set it up correctly and bed it in properly.

Don't quite know how you can say that the Hope Mono Trial was the worst brake ever

well, actually i was referring to my friend's one. Wenn he first mounted it one of the pads exploded during the first ride. He bought new ones. Never had enough power. he got it serviced by hope at a bike fair: new disc, new pads (at least they were for free). after a few months one the left piston stuck and his front brake became louder than his rear brake. He sent it to Hope. they serviced the brake...at least they wrote so in an email. When he got it back the piston was ok, but the brake was leaking at the bottom. oil got on the pads => pads damaged.

on the other hand i have seen way more Hopes which work great than weak ones.

Hope trials are the best in my opinion.

I've had a BB7 and it was crap. But other's BB7's have been amazing. But they can be too grabby. Never ridden a BB7 that i would be happy with on my bike.

I have a Hope Mini... great except i would like a bit more instant bit. (because i am a motorcycle trials rider i am used to on or off!)

What pads for the Mini has anyone had good results with... some say the EBC reds are the best.

I love my Louise FR 180mm, my mate has a Hope mono mini 160mm and out of the two i have to say his feels better sharper but the Louise holds better.

But saying that my Louise is only working on half of each brake pad at the mo.

Edited by G-baby158

My BB7 was ace till it fell apart one day so I went one up and got the hydraulic version, the Juicy 7. It has all the bite and power of the BB7 but actually with modulation :) So you could be quite happy either gapping to rails or pulling stoppies down slopes.

Bit more expensive but definately worth it.

I tried a formula ORO K-18 on my bike for about a month - based on the same brake on other people's XC/DH bikes it should have been fantastic, and on occasion it had great bite and hold, as well as decent modulation - only problem was one of the piston seals leaked oil really slowly from new onto the brake pads, so the brake would work for a few minutes after being sprayed with water and then turn to a howly bite-free mess. I'm guessing it's poor quality control, but that is the first brake I've ever bought new that had any issue like this out of the box and it may be because the brake is held locked on for long periods compared to XC/DH use. On an XC bike the leaking fluid is more likely to get cleared off my mud/water spray, so it's less noticeable too.

I've fitted a Louise now and it's fantastic, loads of hold and enough bite for front wheel landings and wheel swaps even with a 160mm rotor on a stock bike (However it's not like I'm gapping 6 feet to front wheel or anything). I'm still not sure about disks for back brakes though, there's something very reassuring about a well ground rim and maguras, even if they do need to be fed brake pads regularly :)...

Edited by psycholist