Does Anyone Know How I Can Stop My Fear Of Height When I Try Drops

Boon132

I had the same problem, until one day i was just in the mood and dropped off all sorts of shit.

Definitely the best thing to do is start small and work your way up, if you've got a wall that gets bigger gradually use that and spend a lot of time there, and get nice and comfortable and don't let anyone rush you.

Always look at the drop from the bottom, as drops look tiny until you get up there. So always have an image in your head of what the drop looks like from the floor, rather than focusing on what it looks like as your doing it.

Also, what helped me was 'try' and do a drop 2 ft bigger than the one you're actually trying to do. Don't actually do it, but get on your back wheel and turn as if you were, and then back out. When you go back to the drop you were originally going to do, it looks a lot smaller, and you're more confident on your back wheel as you've just done it all on a much bigger wall.

Make sure your technique is good, if you're not fully confident on your back wheel, don't do big drops and practice on your back wheel first. Same if you don't drop properly. I've seen people just backhop off walls rather than get right on the edge and lower their ass and from wheel and it always ends blackly. A good technique can get rid of 80% of the impact you would get with poor / no technique.

What kind of heights are you dropping?

(Y)

I had the same problem, until one day i was just in the mood and dropped off all sorts of shit.

Definitely the best thing to do is start small and work your way up, if you've got a wall that gets bigger gradually use that and spend a lot of time there, and get nice and comfortable and don't let anyone rush you.

Always look at the drop from the bottom, as drops look tiny until you get up there. So always have an image in your head of what the drop looks like from the floor, rather than focusing on what it looks like as your doing it.

Also, what helped me was 'try' and do a drop 2 ft bigger than the one you're actually trying to do. Don't actually do it, but get on your back wheel and turn as if you were, and then back out. When you go back to the drop you were originally going to do, it looks a lot smaller, and you're more confident on your back wheel as you've just done it all on a much bigger wall.

Make sure your technique is good, if you're not fully confident on your back wheel, don't do big drops and practice on your back wheel first. Same if you don't drop properly. I've seen people just backhop off walls rather than get right on the edge and lower their ass and from wheel and it always ends blackly. A good technique can get rid of 80% of the impact you would get with poor / no technique.

What kind of heights are you dropping?

(Y)

Not very high like, i guess like the size of a trials bike standing on both wheels a 20"

I would just say .

Start at the biggest drop you can do and work your way doing bigger and bigger ones.

Convincing and reassuring your self along the way your not going to kill your self.

lol

Thats all i think of

Killing myself on a wall, it really gets on my nerves

Thanks James.

Yeah basically work up from really really small until u get really good technique.

Unfortunately other then that u just have to go for it.

Just be confident that you wont really mess it up.

And trust me its hard to taco rims on 20" bikes just dropping unless ur going pretty big.

So just make sure ur technique is good and then just go for it. Try not to think about it alot and just do it its not so big afterwards.

When I try something big, the words 'oh f**k it' usually leave my mouth just before hand. Basically the way that I progress is to lack all common sense and just throw myself off even if I don't think I'll make it. Works great 9/10. The other 10% of the attempts are catastrophic.

control your breathing (slow, deep breaths) keep your adrenaline down, think about what your going to and do not what could go wrong!!!!

see how smooth you can get on smaller stuff and take it on the bigger stuff.

the more often you do something , the more it becomes second-nature.

Yeah basically work up from really really small until u get really good technique.

Unfortunately other then that u just have to go for it.

Just be confident that you wont really mess it up.

And trust me its hard to taco rims on 20" bikes just dropping unless ur going pretty big.

So just make sure ur technique is good and then just go for it. Try not to think about it alot and just do it its not so big afterwards.

Yeah thanks for the reply i done a pretty big drop today i was happy and now it feels really small :) thanks.

Ok thanks guy its been a great help, im now doing some pretty big stuff now just a bit bigger than a 26" i hope to get much bigger thanks all if anyone has anymore help then please reply.

Does anyone know how i can stop my fear of height when i try to do drops like big ones

please no stupid comments like close your eyes lol

Thanks, Help is most appreciated, James.

Just go for it and the more you do it the easyer it is jimmy boi xD

I had this same problem recently. Just take a leaf out of Ryan Leech's book- "You look at it and you just get a feeling whether you can do it or not. Just go with that feeling". Now im doing like 3ft drops but i still need to go bigger. Instead of starting from the rear wheel, find your balance and pedal off it, landing on your rear wheel.

you just got to grow some balls.

once you got a decent technique, its just balls.

Yeah i know i don't get scared because i got no balls,

I get scared because of my technique i need to practice it or I'm going to end up hurt.

Thanks anyway James.