I Hate 4 Bolt Mounts

fatty r

you gotta remember you're dealing with (generally) steel bolts into soft aluminum threads. You already know that though...

No need to wrench 48,000 pounds of toruqe into it. Snug - plus an 1/8th of a turn works dandy. If you were trying to remove the bolts and it broke, it may be due to the steel setting in real nice. A simple parctice I use all for everything except stuff near brake parts is to apply a tiny dab of anti-seize to all bolts, even when the bike is brand new. I'll take a few moments to remove things like that and give it a dab. It's cheap and you can get it at any auto parts store. They won't back out and they can be removed later withut hassle - or more importanly - breakage. If you can't find anti-seize, a tiny bit of grease will do the trick, but it's not as good -especially on parts that heat up real nice, like inside engines.

On a side note, ALWAYS make sure to use antiseize when using stainless bolts that will set into mild steel parts.

Good luck with your new bike.

::edit for poor spelling::

Edited by Tappets

i jat striped the thred and then when a put a heli-coil in i sumhow made an erse of it and can only turn a bolt in about 4 turnd before it wont go any further i.e the brake clamp wont lock the slave cylinder in place and it just keeps slipping out wan any resonable force is apllied with the brake

i jat striped the thred and then when a put a heli-coil in i sumhow made an erse of it and can only turn a bolt in about 4 turnd before it wont go any further i.e the brake clamp wont lock the slave cylinder in place and it just keeps slipping out wan any resonable force is apllied with the brake

Did you break the tang out of the bottom of the helioil? If you did it sounds like you didnt tap far enough into the hole before putting the insert it.

You could try cutting the bolt down so it will tighten up on the brake clamps, will run the risk of pulling out again but it should work as long as you have enough threads in the insert :)

yea i broke the tang so proboaly havent tapped down far enough could anoyone give me some advice on a rear maggie old style i burst the crossover now iv replaced it and bled the brake when i pull th leaver it wont press into the leaver boady lyk something is jamed and yes i did let the tpa all the way out before bleeding

Can't give you any advice on the maggie, but as far as the helicoil mess, you may have more options to correct it.

If you can remove the helicoil, you can clean out the tapped hole a bit more with a drill and then fill it with a quality 2-part metal epoxy. The trick is to pack the epoy in there really good, so there are no air pockets. Let it harden for 2 or 3 days, sand off the excess and retap the hole and install a new helicoil. May not hold for 25 years, but it's amazing stuff and is cheap alternative. Just a thought. The brand I use is JB Weld. Having a professional aluminum welder refill it would be tops, but that would be expensive and it would ruin the paint. Hope that helps!

jst stripped the echo and built the brisa in the proces found that the echo is cracked so it can retire in my shed now lol thanks for everyones advise though will remember it for next tim i end up ballsing up my brake mounts thank again