Beginner Dj Equipment, Advice?

Caleb

Basically my mate is interested in starting DJ'ing, he's into a bit of music like trance music and is interested in starting DJ'ing that sort of stuff, does anyone recommend any decent gear for him, what Brands to get and stuff? Thanks in advance boys.

Think cdjs? would be best for him due to room and lack of vinyls and cost etc.

any links to sites or just first hand experience would be much appreciated.

Also would you recommend buying second hand over new due to depreciation rates and the chance he may not shine to it etc?

Edited by Caleb

CDJs are quite pricey. They're the industry standard.

I think maybe TheSci would reccomend his old Denon decks. Wait til he sees his thread, he'll be able to give you more advice.

Second hand is an excellent idea.

Bear in mind, a CDJ setup will cost around £2000, going on a quick google search.

Yeah, £800 for one deck, and you need two.

Edited by Revolver

I was talking to Mike on msn about this last night for aaagess. This is in relation to Vinyl stuff as that tickles my fancy but may as well post what he said anyways :)

Decks: Make sure they have direct drive. Avoid cheap Numark stuff. Stanton T-60 are good entry level decks for around £120 each if you look about.

Mixers: 3 band EQ is what you want, 2 channel is fine (so the mixer will be 3 band, 2 channel). Avoid cheap KAM or Behringer stuff. Denon DNX100 is good.

Found this 2 deck, mixer and headphones deal that Mike agreed is a good buy to get started. The decks alone would come to £240 (at least) and your getting a 3 band mixer (worth £90 or so) with them + headphones for an extra tenner.

Sites: Djdeals.co.uk

DV247.com

He also mentioned a set of cd tables that are cheaper then CDJ's (what all the pros use lol) and still good. Can't remember the name but i'm sure he'll be in here himself soon :)

I was talking to Mike on msn about this last night for aaagess. This is in relation to Vinyl stuff as that tickles my fancy but may as well post what he said anyways :)

Decks: Make sure they have direct drive. Avoid cheap Numark stuff. Stanton T-60 are good entry level decks for around £120 each if you look about.

Mixers: 3 band EQ is what you want, 2 channel is fine (so the mixer will be 3 band, 2 channel). Avoid cheap KAM or Behringer stuff. Denon DNX100 is good.

Found this 2 deck, mixer and headphones deal that Mike agreed is a good buy to get started. The decks alone would come to £240 (at least) and your getting a 3 band mixer (worth £90 or so) with them + headphones for an extra tenner.

Sites: Djdeals.co.uk

DV247.com

He also mentioned a set of cd tables that are cheaper then CDJ's (what all the pros use lol) and still good. Can't remember the name but i'm sure he'll be in here himself soon :)

^ What he said lol

DV247 aren't that good, I just used them to show you products. DJDeals are where I got my Denons from and more recently, my Pioneers.

For just starting out you can get CDJ200's - the really basic model Pioneers quite cheap on ebay. The only thing about second hand is that you don't know if they were previously used for scratching or just heavy handed gits - mixers wear out fast with abuse.

I've banned my friend from using my mixer because he slams the sliders around and it's annoying. He brings his own mixer now haha.

I would always buy new personally.

What budget does he have?

I recently got my mitts on a pair of Denon DN-S1000 decks and Gemini PMX-03 mixer for just over £350 including postage. It's all mint condition and barely used, with no issues whatsoever

It's all I want/need and more, and I'd highly recommend it if you can find something similar

Pioneer stuff is always pretty decent, so keep your eyes peeled as there are often bargains floating about too!