How To Save Weight On A Frame?

Nick Manning

I've searched the forum and haven't found anyhelp.

I've noticed that lots of people are drilling there frame's and most particularly removing the front face of the head tube.

My querey is about the strength of the head tube once this is done and also what tools you would use to make this hole.

I understand that by modifying the frame itself there is a risk of it becoming weaker.

I'm just curious as to how everyone is doing it, and if it's worth doing.

I've heard people have been using dremels.

Truth be told, I've never used one know what one looks like. I just did a search on google, and there seems to be allsorts of different types.

It doesn't save a lot, so it's not really worth doing unless the rest of the parts on your bike are already really light.

I've just upgraded a few bit's to save wait.

Previous:

Hope pro 2 front and rear hubs, Echo CNC cranks, 74 kingz bash, 18th surly cog, MAD bar and stem, 74 kingz booster.

Now:

Rockman front and rear hubs, Try-all cranks with Try-all freewheel, 16th neon cog, Raockman bars, Neon stem, Viz forks ( I technically didn't have any forks before, as they had broken).

I've heard people have been using dremels.

Truth be told, I've never used one know what one looks like. I just did a search on google, and there seems to be allsorts of different types.

You want one of these Mckeller Rotary Tool and one of these 545 Diamond cutting disc and you'll go through almost anything.

If money is no object though go for a more advanced rotary tool like one from the Dremel range (Dremel is one of those things thats actually a brand name rather than a noun, like Hoover or Durex).

Rich

What tyres have you got? I saved 750g just changing mine.

Both Schwalbe, rear is a Big Betty 890g and front is a Al Mighty 1250g - I can't change my tyres as Schwalbe is a team sponsor.

You want one of these Mckeller Rotary Tool and one of these 545 Diamond cutting disc and you'll go through almost anything.

If money is no object though go for a more advanced rotary tool like one from the Dremel range (Dremel is one of those things thats actually a brand name rather than a noun, like Hoover or Durex).

Rich

I figured that when I searched the net.

I think a Nobby Nic is about 600g, if yours is 1200g at the moment then that's another 600g saved.

You could also use sellotape for rim tape, foam grips, a KMC Z610 chain, Wellgo MG-1 pedals, it all adds up.

Sellotape sucks...

I use silk cloth........XXXLight!!! :-

I know im gonna get raped for saying this but come on you dont need to save weight ive rode a weight weenie bike and they just dont feel right you need the strengh and decent products not the need to drill, cut, use sellotape as rim tape etc etc as longs as it rides nice

tris

I'd also imagine that silk rim tape would give other riders the wrong impression.

Oh....like what?

Like I'm a gay? Nearly Every rider in St Petersburg act out Gay.....My best friend f.e. rides in Pink hoodie and pink socks...

Sometimes he puts on man thongs) Also pink)

So....that ain't realy bothers me)

And bout the price...not that high.....

And it may be any cloth you want)))

Edited by Dan S

I think a Nobby Nic is about 600g, if yours is 1200g at the moment then that's another 600g saved.

You could also use sellotape for rim tape, foam grips, a KMC Z610 chain, Wellgo MG-1 pedals, it all adds up.

My current spec is as follows:

Phase 1.2 frame, Viz forks, Cane Creek th headset, Rockman f+r hubs on Try-all front rim and Echo front rim for rear both with Viz spokes, Neon stem, Rockman bars, Neon booster, Phase lock on grips, Hope mono trial 180 f brake, Magura HS33 r brake with cnc lever and cnc pad backings, Wellgo Magnesium pedals, Try-all cranks,Try-all freewheel, Try-all half bash, Ko bikes bb, KMC Kool bmx chain, 74 Kingz tensioner, 16th Neon cog, Schwalbe Big Betty rear tyre and Al mighty front tyre.