Trials Specific Power Formula

Rob Thomson

Alright chaps, had a night in by myself so the thinking cap has gone on. I'm presuming some of you know (well heard of) this forumla:

39a7996cb5861c3def707ce3a541bdf5.png

Apparently this formula gives the amount of power required to drive a rider and their bike through the air as well as overcome the resistance from the drivetrain.

Now I can't do any form of forumla rubbish but anybody reckon they can do some sort of trials specific power formula for say a bunnyhop or a sidehop or something. I don't really know what I'm talking about or if it would be possible but I'm bored so I'm guessing other people might be as well?

Tell me to shut up if need be

You would need a different fomula for different moves. gapping would be a very similar formula, getting up anything would need to take into account work done, lifting the mass of the bike and rider the height of the obstacle against gravity. It wouldnt be hard to addapt the above equation for anything where the bike stays on the ground, but as soon as wheels leave the floor, it's a very different matter (I think?).

Edited by Sam Doman

that formula would be far too basic to apply to trials moves since it applies entirely to pedal effort. that's not where most of the power comes from when dealing with trials moves. Also the variables needed in a trials move specific formula would be so many and ever changing, with regards to the efforts needed and the leverage efficiencies when the bike and body are at constantly changing angles to each other.

Pedalling along only requires you to use your legs. A sidehop can be done using no muscles (just tucking), using mostly your arms, mostly your legs and both.

It varies depending on the technique. I'm sure if you found out how strong legs riders like Hermance, Ross, Damon etc. have, you could work out the bottom line of how strong you have to be to sidehop a given height.