Maggies

fatty r

there is a small point, the water you are bleeding you brake with will have somethings dissolved in it, either from pipelines or the source.

there are soft and hardwater areas in the UK and although i guess no one has ever looked into it, there may be different properties and hence reactions when used as brake fuild.

to ensure that you have a pure water the best way would be to use distilled water which is a pain in the arse!

another aspect is the fact that while water expands when it freezes, it also expands when it get hot, proper brake fuild reacts less to temperature variations so you'd get a more consistant brake feel i guess

there is a small point, the water you are bleeding you brake with will have somethings dissolved in it, either from pipelines or the source.

there are soft and hardwater areas in the UK and although i guess no one has ever looked into it, there may be different properties and hence reactions when used as brake fuild.

to ensure that you have a pure water the best way would be to use distilled water which is a pain in the arse!

another aspect is the fact that while water expands when it freezes, it also expands when it get hot, proper brake fuild reacts less to temperature variations so you'd get a more consistant brake feel i guess

Boiling water will get a lot of impurities out of the water...

And, It may well expand when it gets hot. But how hot does it get in the uk.... Not hot enough.

but seems funny that the majority of people with problems.. "sluggish pistons" etc are using water to bleed the system.

Because well over 90% of trials riders use water? Hardly a fair sample. The only time people (inc. myself) use oil bleed for hydraulic rim brakes, are the first batch of Deng brakes.

they're designed to run on mineral oil not water with anti-freeze thrown in so ill stick with that....i understand the viscosity thing but its not like its a real effort! i have a 10 year old set that are still great, and £15 is hardly gonna break the bank.

back to the lad who didn't know how to unfreeze them - cant you stick the bike indoors to thaw out?

yeah just give it time to thaw would be good idea, some sunshine or lukewarm water will do it

or put a cover over the bike to try and prevent it freezing in the first place?

where do you keep it? shed/garage? try and keep it away from the cold if you can but then again how often does it freeze on you and how often will you want to ride those days?

I've never had a problem with water bleeds. Apart from when my old front one froze and I went over the bars! :lol:

Magura internals are plastic, which doesn't corrode. ;) So water is fine really. You can always clean them out/service them!

Ok, serious question scientists!! how come if you fill a bottle of water to the brim, no air in it at all.. and freeze it. it will explode due to water expanding as it freezes yet magura systems dont explode "split lines etc" when they freeze??

Dave

IF the water in your magura does happen to freeze, it's never frozen for a long enough period of time for it to expand and explode.

Bob Fossil... isn't it strange that by being a total 'david blunt' it just pisses people off. Funny that.

The guy who called me a 'proopa wanker' had quoted this post...

Exactly, neither is better.

It is just preference...

So he called me a 'proopa wanker' for saying its just preference whether you use mineral oil or water..

I wasn't specifically referring to those comments, just your general attitude in many of your posts....sometimes your points are helpful, but delivered in a smug, patronising (like Jimmy Carr...but not funny) way.

It's better that I tell you. ;)