Problem With My Car

531joshua

For about a week now I've been getting a problem with my car - I loud 'clunking' noise is produced whenever I stick it in reverse and accelerate backwards, the noise happens more so when I've got some lock on the steering. I've been told that it could be my CV joint but due to how much my gear stick moves, I've kinda though it might be something to do with the gearbox linkage, maybe the engine is rocking too much and hitting something in the engine bay?

Any one got any ideas what it could be?

It's a 2001 Renault Megane 1.6 16v by the way.

Any help much appreciated.

It sounds like your gear box, does it whine more when you go faster?

If its your CV joint it'd be sounding horrendous when your terning going forwards too. It could even be your drive shaft or your maybe your engines come off one of the hinges.

Edited by Jaffacakes

wouldnt of thought it would be a CV joint, but could be, note to jaffacakes, its an engine, not a door, it dont have hinges, as suggested it could be one of the mountings is knackered, so when the engines rotates as it pushes against the driveshafts (looking at the vehicle from the drivers side, as the engine tries to turn the driveshafts, anti clockwise, the engine and gearbox assembly will move clockwise, normally till it reaches its maximum movement in the mount, but if the mounts knackered, it might be hitting metal.

Although i have to ask, is it just the one clonk as you press the accelerator down/let the clutch out, or does it clonk in time with the gearbox rotation, or the wheel rotation?

Outboard CV join clunkage occurs when the car is going round corners, either forwards or backwards. Have an experiment at a few corners at speed of varying tightness and see if your clunking noise is back. When I got my 205 it had the clunking noise and they dont make outboard joints specifically, so I had to replaced the entire driveshafts :(

Thanks for all the replies. It's kind of hard to explain - I recently replaced the rubber boot on my driver-side cv joint as it had split and grease was coming out, as well as making a slight clicking noise when you turn, it isn't too bad now though, it just clicks very slightly when I've got full lock on and you've got to listen really carefully to actually hear it. Anyway, the clunking noise happens either when you put it into reverse and accelerate quite quickly, or from reverse to first and accelerate quite quickly. Also, the clunking is just one loud clunk, not repeadidly.

Again, any more help much appreciated!

Thanks for all the replies. It's kind of hard to explain - I recently replaced the rubber boot on my driver-side cv joint as it had split and grease was coming out, as well as making a slight clicking noise when you turn, it isn't too bad now though, it just clicks very slightly when I've got full lock on and you've got to listen really carefully to actually hear it. Anyway, the clunking noise happens either when you put it into reverse and accelerate quite quickly, or from reverse to first and accelerate quite quickly. Also, the clunking is just one loud clunk, not repeadidly.

Again, any more help much appreciated!

most likely an engine mount thats gone then.

To check engine mounts - get a helper, have the bonet open, put the handbrake on firmly, put it in gear and try and pull off (in reverse in your case, may want your helper to do this so you can see the engine yourself) if your engine is moving excessive amounts then it's safe to say one of them is shagged, and it should be clear which one.

If it's not that, and assuming the noise is coming from the front, I'd be looking at wishbone's, bushes in that area and associated captive nuts and bolts and such. Though these kinds of things will generally make noises when you're on/off power quickly.

:)

Edited by Jolfa

doubt its an engine mount, as it'd be doing the same when on overrun coming down through the gears.

get the car on a ramp and check all the front suspension components for play with a crowbar - easy and quick to do.

if that doesn't solve it then i bet its brake caliper related.

Will

Thanks again for the replies, really helped.

What makes you think it could be the brake calliper Will?

the problem seems to occur when you switch from forward to reverse and vice versa. if there is wear within the caliper mounts/bolts then it'll show itself when changing from forward to reverse or reverse to forward, bear in mind the pads will probarbly be touching the disc slightly, dragging the caliper back.

in alot of peugeots the pads rock within the caliper, making a clunk noise.

Well that does sound kinda like it could be that, I'm thinking this because I've noticed recently, when I'm braking it isn't as smooth as it used to be, it like shudders as if the brakes are pressed slightly harder, then softer etc till it comes to a stop. As for some one saying if it was the driveshaft it would make a constant whirring noise, I have actually got the car making a contant noise, although to me it sounds more like the tyres on the road, only starting making that noise when I put the rear wheels on the front and vise vera, for more grip on the tyres.

Thanks again.