Vertical Or Horizontal Dropouts?

Gilman

Ok, so I am getting a new frame in this upcoming year. I ride stock and I was thinking of going to horizontal dropouts. I am also keeping the 135mm spacing.

I have been reading around and hearing that most people don't like horizontal dropouts for stock. I can't seem to get a reason why that is.

So I present my question here, which do you prefer and why?

I was thinking that horizontal is cleaner and lighter then a vertical with a hanger and a tensioner. I know that people are going to say it is harder to adjust and that there will be slipping issues. I have ridden mod and I never had any of those issues.

So can someone help me decide on which way to go.

Thanks,

Matt.

I always seem to get issues. That's with snail cams though. Once the wheel settles in it's fine, but it's just a pain in the ass if you have to take your wheel out and the pads need to readjust.

However some of the companies seem to be doing away with snail cams and using the bolt through the dropout idea. If used with a lock nut it's a better idea i'd say.

Still, vertical dropouts offer the same wheel placement every time. Which is especially better for discs. But due to the dropout hanger still being used that's why it lacks. I think that Russian tensioner that goes on the drive shell is the way forward.

I always seem to get issues. That's with snail cams though. Once the wheel settles in it's fine, but it's just a pain in the ass if you have to take your wheel out and the pads need to readjust.

However some of the companies seem to be doing away with snail cams and using the bolt through the dropout idea. If used with a lock nut it's a better idea i'd say.

Still, vertical dropouts offer the same wheel placement every time. Which is especially better for discs. But due to the dropout hanger still being used that's why it lacks. I think that Russian tensioner that goes on the drive shell is the way forward.

any pics dude?:)

youve also got the issue of sprockets not being concentric, which will cause tight spots in the chain and ultimately more stress on that point. bad times. ask bigman, i think he used to run a nomral sprung tensioner on his coust even though it had horizontal dropouts exactly for this reason.