Strongest Freewheel

pablotrial

Tensiles are incredibly strong, just not that batch, loads of them have broken and they get changed for a new one free of charge. My tensile is over 2 years old, I've rebuilt it twice and it's hardly ever skipped.

They feel so solid aswell, highly recomended.

I have a 3rd hand ENO (pretty sure its 3rd hand) and it has never skipped and shows no signs of damage/cracks. Get one if you have the money for a new one (I swear they used to cost £70 odd) or a second hand one in good shape.

But I'm sure the Tensile ones are good, assuming you didn't get one of the dodgy batches.

had an eno ran it till the bearing collasped never skipped

had a second hand tensile work great then slipped a bit on heavy load

replaced that running at mo for 6months slipped whist beding in now strong as a ox unlike my chain which blew up sunday.

will try a try all on the zhi just want to give 108.9 ep a go but if not good will get another eno for a change.

recommend a eno if money not a issue or a tensile if your on a tight budget.

yes, plus all the parts are available seperatly if you do manage to break a pawl or spring or somthing.

Without wishing to look too defensive, why is there this reputation that Eno's are the only serviceable freewheel. Parts are all available for the Tensile and work out considerably cheaper. Maintenance is also quick and easy although seldom necessary.

I had an eno for a long time and i really liked it, it didnt skip often and im a basher and never cleaned it out.

The only gripe I have is that the lockring is really easy to strip out then your putting it back on which happened to me.

I have a tensile now and it feels about the same but i really notice the fewer engagment points.

My favourite so far though is the monty one i have on my 221ti, never ever skipped and has a really solid sound.

Without wishing to look too defensive, why is there this reputation that Eno's are the only serviceable freewheel. Parts are all available for the Tensile and work out considerably cheaper. Maintenance is also quick and easy although seldom necessary.

You can't buy single pawls or springs or whatever for Tensiles, and th rebuild kit is £18, and you can't buy new outer teeth race thingies, lockrings, or the bit that screws onto the crank arm.

eno are by far the best quality (Y)

I agree.

Personally, I've used a try-all and an eno. I love eno's, didn't like the try-all much, got rid of it while it was still working so it had some value.

As for the tensile, i think it's reputation was tarnished quite a bit by all the prototypes and different versions which weren't as reliable. I don't know how the most recent version is holding up but there is quite a few threads on here where peoples tensiles have got mashed and mangled, you very really hear things like that from the eno, but then again the price difference is huge making the tensile freewheel the best value by far.

At the end of the day some tensiles will last years and some eno's will last weeks. It's just the way it is. What's best is look on here and read up on peoples experiences. You can't judge how reliable a freewheel is just buy owning one.

I've ridden the Tensile and the Eno. I like the Eno a lot better, but I'm currently running the Tensile cause I don't have a BB too to get it off. So I'll ride with the Tensile till I get some new cranks. The only thing I don't like about the Tensiles is the way they come off, wish they would have made it come off with a freewheel remover instead of a BB tool.

Also, the Tensile is a little hard to ride natural and comp style stuff, but it's good if you mainly ride street like me. But the Eno is definitely the better buy.

Edited by J Trials 31